Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hot Box use in Welding
- - By crosten Date 04-09-2004 14:00
Could anyone tell me if hot box use is an ASME policy or a manufacuters recomendation?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-13-2004 13:39
Excuse me for my ignorance: what is a "hot box"? Perhaps the oven where electrodes for SMAW should be stored?
Thank you for your reply.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-13-2004 13:58
Giovanni,
I too was waiting to see the replies to this one. My ignorance has me wondering the same thing. Hot box, or rod oven?
John Wright
Parent - - By bayouweld (*) Date 04-13-2004 17:36
On every construction job I've ever been on a hot box was something used to put your lunch in and keep it hot, surely you must be referring to a rod oven.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-13-2004 18:20
I had to break my welders from using the rod ovens to keep their lunch hot. If I didn't check the temps everyday, I would catch them baking potatoes for lunch in there.
John Wright
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-13-2004 18:02
I think that Mathey Dearman (Tulsa, OK) markets their portable ovens under the name of "Hot Box".
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-14-2004 01:21

You win the prize!

http://www.mathey.com/181.htm
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-14-2004 03:53
Hi Crosten!

To answer your question as best I can; It depends on the metal composition and welding electrode classification, eg: "low Hydrogen" electrode & process that is being called for use in welding... Btw, what ASME code section are you referring to because, If I remember correctly, you can find notes in the sections referring to methods of storage for "low Hydrogen electrodes and filler metals. Some manufacturers even have charts with recommendations on oven temps and rebaking criteria... I have'nt looked at the different ASME sections to see if they do since I've been studying AWS D1.1 2002 so, I really could'nt tell you where to find it if indeed that info is listed in any of ASME sections of the BPVC. However, I'm sure there's someone here that might be able to offer you assistance regarding the specificity of your question...

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hot Box use in Welding