Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plasma arc cutting
- - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-17-2004 21:48
I have noticed over the years and on a lot of different plasma cutters(usually cnc controlled) that when finished cutting there is a slight to moderate bevel on one edge of the material, pc part or scrap pc, depending on direction of travel. I believe that it is caused by the ionized gas or plasma in the arc stream. What are other possibilities?

All comments welcome,

Brian J. Maas
Parent - By cutter220 (*) Date 04-18-2004 03:29
i sure don't know but that's a good question!
Parent - By BP Maas (**) Date 04-18-2004 18:37
It is caused by the arc length, and the swirl of the plasma stream. The arc length can give you either a positive or negative bevel if you are too close or too far from the base material. Most plasma cutters require you to move counter-clockwise for ID cutting and clockwise for OD cutting to minimize the angle of the bevel. This keeps you on the correct side of the swirl. The type of gas mix can also have an effect on the bevel. All plasma cutters will leave a bevel on one side of the kerf; precision or high definition types will have 1.5 degrees of bevel angle. You will have to cut thicker material to see it visually. My information may be somewhat dated, as I have been away from CNC plasma cutting for two years now; processes sometimes change rapidly. Regards, Brad
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plasma arc cutting