Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Intensity of light given off by MIG
- - By roadrunner Date 04-19-2004 05:17
I am sure the brightness will vary with different setting but what would be a good range of the light intensity produced by a MIG arc. I am attempting to do a report for school and just wanted something to show a comparsion to the light of somethig like a light bulb and why a good welding helmet is so important.

Thank You
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-19-2004 10:01
Deleted,
Sorry, I didn't find what I was going to post for you in the archives.
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-19-2004 12:42
I sent you an email instead with the OSHA recommended lens shade guide attached. See pages 15-16 in the .pdf file.
John Wright
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-20-2004 06:30
Beyond the brightness which is considerable although I cannot quantify it for you, since the arc is at such a high temperature it produces a lot of ultraviolet. Enough cause damage to unprotected skin and really really devastating damage to unprotected eyes. Both of these things are proportional in some way to the quantity of current employed.

As an experiment I just googled "welding arc" temperature. Over 2000 hits about half of those on the first page looked like they might be useful for your paper.

Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Intensity of light given off by MIG