Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Prequalified Base Metal
- - By swnorris (****) Date 04-22-2004 12:45
I posted a question yesterday regarding ASTM A513, and it not being a prequalified base metal. I talked with a QC guy from another shop last night and he informed me that AWS doesn't always list all the prequalified base metals in Table 3.1. This is something I've never heard of before. The only thing I can think of that makes any sense is if AWS adds some new ones after the last D1.1 printing, and they show up on the next printing. Am I missing something here? Also, I only have the D1.1 Code, so maybe A513 is prequalified in another AWS Code that doesn't pertain to structural steel?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-22-2004 13:48
Hi swnorris,
I hadn't run up on steels that were not listed in Table 3.1, so when I read your post I figured I better start digging in case the situation arose here.

I found that D1.1:2004 paragraph 4.7.3 in part says," ...WPS's with base metals not listed in Table 3.1 or Annex M shall be qualified in conformance with Section 4." My take is that if it is not listed in those 2 places it is not prequalified.
John Wright
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 04-22-2004 15:52
Thanks jwright650. I agree with your take that if they aren't listed, they are not prequalified. I was aware of the sections and the qualifications you stated, but the guy specifically said "Sometimes the AWS doesn't list all the "prequalified" base metals", and that's what threw me, because I'd never heard that before, and I'm thinking to myself, why wouldn't they, if in fact they are prequalified? So in essence, his statement was incorrect. Thanks for the input.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-22-2004 13:49
Also,
"The use of unlisted base metals shall be approved by the Engineer."
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-22-2004 14:10
That is my take on this also. If it is not on the list it has to be engineer approved and qualified by testing.

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-22-2004 15:39
AWS D1.1-2004 Paragraph 3.4 says that "Unlisted materails for auxiliary attachements wich fall within the chemical composition range of a steel listed in table 3.1 may be used in a prequailified WPS when approved by the engineer. The filler metal and minimum preheat shall be in accordance with 3.5, based upon the similar material strength and chemical composition."
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 04-22-2004 16:34
GRoberts,
I see that 3.4 was reworded from the 2000 edition of D1.1. I actually wasn't aware of 3.4. After reading it, I thought that auxilary attachments must mean "secondary materials", such as detail pieces. I looked up the meaning of "auxilary attachments" in Annex B, and it states its meaning as: members or appurtenances attached to main stress-carrying members by welding. Such members may or may not carry stress. So here's my take on this: Since the meaning states that (members or appurtenances attached to main stress-carrying members by welding), my take is that if the material grade is not shown in Table 3.1, but meets the criteria shown in 3.4 and 3.5, it cannot be used if it is to be used as a main stress carrying member. It can carry stress, but not as a main member. Please someone correct me if my interpretation is incorrect. Thanks again.
Parent - By weldeng13 (*) Date 04-25-2004 15:53
I think you are correct, in D1.1 2004 the wording has changed a little but the idea is still the same, if it isn't listed in one of those two tables the Engineer has to approve it, for auxilary attachments.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 Prequalified Base Metal