Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Medical Brazing
- - By lindasuenlarry (*) Date 04-22-2004 17:00
Is there a separte standerd for Medical Brazing and Soldering? If so can some one lead me to them.
Parent - - By ladycwi (*) Date 04-22-2004 18:00
What do you mean by Medical? Is this application going to be used in pharm. plants or something very sanitary?
Parent - - By lindasuenlarry (*) Date 04-22-2004 23:46
Yes it is a clean room application, these lines will run the oxgen and different gasses used in surgery, I need to be able to install the manaifolds and run the pipeing to the new surgery and recovery rooms.
I have never heard of this before, but then again I'm pretty much a power plant hand.I have contacted one of the makers of brazing and soldering rods. Hopefully some one from there will know?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-23-2004 10:06
http://www.jwharris.com/

Check out JW Harris, I look there for info on anything that needs to be brazed or soldered.
just a thought,
John Wright
Parent - - By ladycwi (*) Date 04-23-2004 12:51
I know that ASME has a brazing code. I dont have one available but I do know for 02 service, everything must be oil free,particle free and so on, also one of the guys I work with is very familiar with brazing. He said definitely not to use a product with cadmium or lead. You may find a recommendation for a certain product in the aws product catalog. If you would like you can call our applications dept. because we make brazing and soldering products. The Name Brand is AllState Wires and Fluxes. Here is the number and ask for Jerry Doherty, tell him Andrea from R&D told you to call, he can probably answer alot of your questions or lead you in the right direction. 717-637-8911 ESAB or 800-444-8911
Parent - - By lindasuenlarry (*) Date 04-23-2004 14:48
thanks everyone, I have request out to different companys
Parent - - By lindasuenlarry (*) Date 05-07-2004 00:35
Thanks to all you folks I managed to ger the paper togeather, then the local hospital said they needed a capy for review. The next thing I heard they had ceritifed one of their own employees.
Parent - By Bob Peaslee (*) Date 11-09-2004 17:58
Hi Larry -
One specification for Hospital Piping for Oxygen os AWS D10.13-95, Recommended Practice for the Brazing of Copper Pipe and Tubing for Medical Gas Systems. This is available from Global Engineering Documents, CO, 800-854-7179. All AWS documents are sold through Global.

Also the Brazing Handbook 4th Edition is a text book on brazing and is available from Global.

Another source for the information on supply lines for medical gases is NFPA, National Fire Protection Association, order department, 800-344-3555, NFPA 99C, Gas and Vacuum Systems. The full edition from which the NFPA 99C is an excerpt is NFPA 99, Health care Facilities. Both of these publications call out AWS B2.2 Standard for Brazing Procedure and Performance Qualification and the ASME Boiler code, Section ASME IX. Brazing Filler Metals should comply with AWS A5.8, Filler Metals for brazing and Braze Welding.

At Present I do not kNow of a testing laboratory who Certifies the Brazed Joint Specimens. If you find such a source please let me know.
Bob Peaslee, 248-585-6400 x240
Parent - By marbern Date 11-12-2004 01:08
Yes there is a separate standard, here in NJ you need to be certified in med gas brazing. Our local Union gives classes in med gas every year and recerts people every year. I have not attended the class but know many who have. From what I understand there is no specified brazing rod that is required I have seen 5% and 15% silver rods used. I do know that the lines need to be purged with nitrogen and full penitration is required. There is a lot more to the class, but like I said I have not attended as of yet.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Medical Brazing