Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG welding thin aluminum
- - By maxlobovsky Date 04-27-2004 20:55
I'm not a welder, but i do have some familiarity with welding processes. I would like to know if it would be possible to TIG weld aluminum with a thickness of 1/16". Specifically, welding of 1" square aluminum (6061) tubing with a wall thickness of 1/16 in corner or T-joints. This needs to be purely a structural weld. Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-28-2004 21:02

Welcome to the Forum Max!

Yes you can weld your 1/16 inch 6061 aluminum with GTAW
Parent - - By maxlobovsky Date 04-28-2004 23:05
Ah, thats good to hear, the project will look so much nicer welded than with any other construction method.

Do you or anyone else have any tips about doing so? Obviously, i should use the thinnest wired possible (that's 1/16, correct?) and use a pretty low current (how low, exactly?)
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 04-29-2004 12:19
actually, if you can get your hands on some .040 tungsten and filler rod, you will have a lot more control over the puddle. didn't notice what machine you were using....if you have an inverter to use, you can use a 2% ceriated tungsten, sharpened to a modified point. this will channel the arc to the root of the filet alot better than a balled up pure tungsten.
good luck
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-29-2004 17:14

Max

This forum has many threads that include some good links and practical advice for just what your doing.

Just use the little search option at the top of the forum page and type in "aluminum" even in the last 50 days there are many posts with good stuff for you.
Parent - - By maxlobovsky Date 04-29-2004 17:31
I have searched, i was just wanted to know about anything specific to welding very thin pieces of aluminum, but thanks anyway.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-30-2004 03:19
A standard stunt for tig welders is welding pop cans together. Next to that your sections are not thin at all. You should have no trouble. As always practice on some scrap first.
Bill
Parent - By dsergison (*) Date 04-30-2004 17:16
Yup.

just practice. 1/16" isn't really THAT thin. I'd use 1/6" or 3/32" normal size filler. and tungsted too.

using itsy bitst filler makes things more difficult as it's tougher to add enough fillet to cool the puddle without hanging around too long and blowing right through.

I've found that pop cans shouldn't be welded while full. :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG welding thin aluminum