Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME Section 8 and U2's
- - By Brad_J (*) Date 04-27-2004 22:20
We are an ASME Code shop considering taking on a job wherein the customer will provide ASME materials for us to weld their code sub-assy. Our A.I. said he doesn't think we need a U2 for this. Anybody familiar with this type of circumstance or instance where a U2 stamp is not required?
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-28-2004 03:08
I'm not that familiar with the ASME VIII stamping rules, but what you're describing sounds like the customer will supply ASME materials which you will weld under your quality program using your welders and your qualified welding procedure specifications. And perhaps your inspectors will perform the NDE. If this is the case, and you will be using your ASME Certificate of Authorization to perform the work then you would need to give the customer some sort of partial data report, even though the sub-assy itself may not require stamping. I'll have to do some further reading of VIII to see what's required in the way of stamping and data reports.
Parent - By Brad_J (*) Date 04-28-2004 12:52
I think you have a pretty good grasp on what we're doing. I think the partial data report as a minimum is required. I will be in touch with our AI again today and do a little more reading in Section VIII. I appreciate your response.
Brad
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME Section 8 and U2's