Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cast
- - By Mathius (**) Date 04-29-2004 18:04
I'm work'n on an exhaust, and I have to remove a small block that's part of an emissions setup. The emissions is no longer going to be used on this vehicle. From what I can see it's about a 2" block.

Without removing and installing a completely new exhaust setup, I have 2 options, I can make a filler pipe, or I can weld closed the block and drill out the center.

The block in question has a butterfly mechanism in it that opens and closes to let exhaust gases out only at a certain point. It has a rod coming out of it that's attached to a vacuum canister up higher on the engine. The block is right after the manifolds, but before the catalatyc converter (sp?)

The block appears to be cast, it has the same rusty burnt look the manifolds have, plus coming right off the manifolds, it needs to be able to stand up to some heat, right?

If I choose to go to a filler pipe, would 1/4" wall thickness be enough to stand up to the heat coming out the manifolds?

If I choose to weld closed the hole where the rod is hooked up, what material can I use for a filler plate?

I've never welded any cast, but from what I've read, I can do it simply with an acetylene torch, provided I preheat it cherry red, weld while it's hot, heat it again when I'm done, and then allow it to cool slowly. I also understand I would need a special welding rod.

I have access to most forms of welding at school, but I would prefer to do this at home because it would be quicker. I have access to an acetylene setup, a MIG, and a 110 flux core. I doubt the MIG or flux core could be used to weld cast from what I've read.

Can someone give me some advice here?

Mathius
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2004 18:44
Mathius,
A muffler shop can make that adapter for you, or they may already have the spacer that will fit right in and use the same length bolts.
I've used a 7018 and welded the butterfly in the open position and then there is no need to fab up a spacer. Just hold the butterfly in the open position and plug weld over the end of the shaft on the opposite side, turn it around and weld the shaft on the end that hasn't been welded yet. You will still need the donut gasket to seal it all up.
John Wright
Parent - - By Mathius (**) Date 04-30-2004 03:59
So then that particular piece is not cast then I take it?

Mathius
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-30-2004 09:57
No, I think it "is" cast. But it probably won't hurt if you brazed the shaft in the open position. Again, just puddle up at the shaft's ends and make sure you have the butterfly vertical so not to cause a restriction. I used a 7018 because that was what was available. That part isn't big enough to cause you cracking problems, as long as you don't soak it with heat when you weld or braze it. Get it hot enough to do the job and get off of it. It is used to heat up around 1200F or better anyway coming right out of the cylinder head. It will be fine, go for it. I wouldn't say that if I haven't already done it without any problems, the thing is still in service.
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-30-2004 16:31
What you are describing sounds like the exhaust gas recirculation valve that forces exhaust gas into a chamber in the intake manifold. It is supposed to aid in fuel vaporization when the engine is cold by heating the manifold.
If that is what you are talking about, then my questions are - Why do you need to eliminate it? What will that do to make the engne run better?

I'm not trying to wisecrack here, just curious.
Chet Guilford
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-30-2004 17:59
Hi Chet,
Vacumn will open that butterfly after the water temperature has gotten hot enough to open the vacumn switch that is mounted in the thermostat housing. If all that stuff is still on the vehicle and in working order, you are right. All that extra weight and garb comes off when the vehicle is destined for the track.
John Wright
Parent - - By Mathius (**) Date 05-01-2004 01:54
I'm elminating the smog equipment from this vehicle to simplify things basically. Also, the vacuum canister connected to this piece is covering the valve cover on the passenger side. I'm trying to open up that valve cover space, so I can get to it easier. I can't just make a different bracket because it's activated by a rod, and I'd then have to figure out how to make the rod work in the new position. I just would rather get rid of it along with everything else.

Mathius
Parent - By harleyhitman (**) Date 01-15-2005 03:23
“THE CAST IRON PROBLEM SOLVER”
Unquestionably the final answer to the most difficult cast iron repair welding. This highly sophisticated
alloy allows repairs that were previously impossible.
IDENTIFICATION: Printed Electrode, TIG Flagged One End
APPLICATION: AC or DC Reverse Polarity
CRONACAST 211 SUPERIOR ADVANTAGES:
• HIGH TENSILE WELDS IN EVERY TYPE OF CAST IRON, INCLUDING GREY AND
MEEHANITE; ALSO PRODUCES EXCELLENT STEEL TO CAST IRON WELDS
• CRONAMIG 211 IS FULLY MACHINABLE AND HAS A HIGH ELONGATION
FACTOR WHICH POSITIVELY PREVENTS CRACKING
• PASS OVER PASS WELDING WITHOUT SLAG REMOVAL BETWEEN PASSES
• ALL POSITION WELDING CAN BE DONE WITH CRONAMIG 211 WITH NO
DISMANTLING OF EQUIPMENT PARTS
TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
TENSILE STRENGTH: 70,000 PSI (483 MPa)
BRINELL HARDNESS: 185-240
OPERATING PROCEDURES:
Use AC or DC reverse polarity. Generally, where a narrow, thin
bead is desired a straight polarity application is suggested.
APPLICATIONS:
• GEAR TEETH • PUMP IMPELLERS
• SPROCKETS • CAST IRON TO STEEL
• PUMP HOUSINGS • CYLINDER BLOCKS AND HEADS
• BEARING HOUSINGS • TRANSMISSION CASES
• TURBINES • HYDRAULIC PRESS RAMS
CONFIDENTIAL MATERIAL, REPRODUCTION, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, PROHIBITED Printed in U. S. A. (Rev. 7/ 02)
PART
NO.
CW1035
CW1034
CW1033
CW1032
ELECTRODE
SIZE
3/32
1/8
5/32
3/16
AMPERAGE
55-95
75-110
120-150
140-175
COMBO PAC . . . . . . . . CW1725
PART NO.
CW1901
CW1902
CW1903
SIZES
CRONATIG™ 211T
1/16 x 36
3/32 x 36
1/8 x 36
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
CRONATRON WELDING SYSTEMS, INC.
CRONACAST ™ 211
CRONAMIG 211M-FC CRONATIG ™ 211T
PART NO.
CW2065
CW2066
CW2057
CW2058
CW2059
SIZES
CRONAMIG™ 211M-FC
.035 x 10 lbs.
.035 x 33 lbs.
.045 x 10 lbs.
.045 x 33 lbs.
.062 x 33 lbs.
WE 14 Corporate, Research & Distribution Hdqrs: 6510 Northpark Blvd. Charlotte, NC 28216-2367/ 800-843-0763/ www.cronatronwelding.com
Return to Index
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cast