Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Thickness Test Coupon
- - By sidekickasia (*) Date 05-04-2004 04:03
Dear pple,

I need to do a WPS for a repair of a 800mm length, 110mm deep crack.

How should I prepare my test coupon? How thick should my coupon be?

Thanks
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-04-2004 05:00
Partially answered in the other post, but for thickness, you need to look at the construction code you will be using. Consider both the thickness of the base metal, and the thickness of the deposit if they will be different.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-04-2004 10:20
GRoberts,
That's a mighty big crack. If my conversion is close, I figured 2'-7 1/2" long x 4 5/16" deep. Yikes! I can't say that I've ever ran up on a crack like that before. If there is access to both sides and this crack goes completely throught the thickness, You will still need to gouge out a vee as you go down in depth to give the welder access to the bottom, and then on the other side as well to get all the way back to sound material again.
That's a lot of work any way you look at it.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-04-2004 10:29
GRoberts,
Sorry to be so worrisome, but how do you simulate a crack to prepare a WPS? Do you butt two pieces of plate of a given thickness together and tack weld at the ends?

I don't have a WPS for crack repair either, Humm, I guess this is something I should address also? I have lots of galvanizing cracks that we must repair when we use a certain galvanizer.
John Wright
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-04-2004 19:28
For instance, if you have a 3ft long crack that is 4" deep, when you are done removing it, whether by grinding or gouging, what you are left with when you are done is basically a weld joint prep, whether it is CJP or PJP. The easy way to simulate is just to take a solid piece of plate, gouge out a groove just like there was a crack right down the middle, then weld it back up. If you end up going all the way though, it isn't much different than a normally prepared goove weld test except for the fact that you can't adjust the root opening. The qualification end of crack repair is really the easy part, the hard part is the metallurgy/physics of it all. Why did it crack in the first place? Is the steel brittle, or just overstressed? Did fatigue play a factor? If so, will the residual stresses of the weld cause a problem. Is it a corrosion crack? If so, what maximum hardness of the weld/HAZ is allowable, and how are you going to keep it that soft in the field so that the cracking won't be repeated. PWHT is a lot harder to do in the field if required, but it may depending on what caused the crack in the first place. Sometimes it is actually better to leave a non-growing crack that is calculated will not achieve critical flaw size than risk a repair. Has the steel been embrittled during service, such as H2S, or high temperature service, and how will that affect welding? Anyhow, simulating all of those conditions can be impossible as you can see.

As far as your crack repair WPS for galv, it would not need to be too much different than the original procedure used to weld the galvanized component, except you would want to make sure you specify inspection to make sure the whole crack was removed, and stipping away the zinc within a certain distance of the weld.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-04-2004 19:44
GRoberts,
Thanks for all your input and the explainations.
John Wright
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 05-04-2004 17:04
what is this crack on?

Brian J. Maas
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 05-06-2004 01:30
Odds are pretty good that you already have the WPS covered and are in need of repair Instructions. Basically , a work process procedure for removal of the base metal into a workable design that permits the welder adequate access to the bottom of the crack.
As mentioned earlier, NDE should be performed to verify the crack has been removed, what the required preheat will be and at what stages will Inspections be mandatory to ensure all the procedural steps are followed.

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Thickness Test Coupon