Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Needing some help with torch welding
- - By wnc (*) Date 05-05-2004 20:52
Could someone offer some suggestions on the best routine to do some welding with oxy-acet? I'm tinkering with pieces of scrap angle at the moment and I'm trying my best, but apparently it's not enough.
I'm getting the seam up to temperature and practicing with old wire clothes hangers for filler, which I'm sure doesn't do too good anyway but it's all I've got right now. Is there anything fairly common that I can use for filler?

I'd sure appreciate any suggestions/advice on this.
Thanks again
Parent - By the hat Date 05-05-2004 23:17
Coathangers are fine for what you want to do.Just make sure to clean them up good(no paint or other garbage)and have fun.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-06-2004 10:17
I have used (metal wire) coathangers for "glueing" exhaust pipes together when I had nothing else available. As suggested already, burn off the paint or coatings before you start, and keep your head out of the plume, it's hard to say what some of those are made of. I would practice with them but not much more than that, I have found them to be very brittle and not ductile enough for much of anything. Here is a link for help in determining fillers for various materials....http://www.jwharris.com/home/
Links are on the left side of the screen to all sorts of info...
Brazing, Soldering, Welding

Hope this helps,
John Wright
Parent - - By wnc (*) Date 05-06-2004 11:09
Thanks again for the information:-)

Parent - By Diesel (*) Date 05-06-2004 14:32
Mechanics wire from auto/hardware store. This will give you more repeatable results and it comes in different sizes. And as always make sure it is clean.
bs
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Needing some help with torch welding