Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / How strong is brazing?
- - By wnc (*) Date 05-07-2004 13:29
It seems I'm constantly repairing things around the house here such as broken garden hoes that the head has snapped off. I'm sure that if one is fairly careful with it, brazing might be ok to use in the repair, but I'm wondering just how strong brazing is for heavy stock? Does it stand up to fairly heavy shock/vibration if used as a tool to be hammered on?

Thanks
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-08-2004 03:45
About 20000 psi common steel is about 60000 psi both ultimate strength. If we are talking about the kind of tool where the blade is cut out of sheet steel and then spot welded to the shank then brazing should easily repair the tool to its original strength. Clean both parts, flux well and use enough heat to allow the braze to sweat into the joint. In a pinch you could do this with a charcoal fire and a hair dryer for a bellows. Assuming the existance of an oxy/acetylene torch, Why not weld it?
Bill
Parent - - By wnc (*) Date 05-08-2004 11:03
Well, I just got set up on oxy/acetylene and was wanting some practice on brazing. I have an old 220 volt buzz-box I could use on it, but I need to start getting used to this torch. I picked up some fluxed brazing rod yesterday and hope to try it today.
I appreciate the information.

Greg
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-08-2004 12:03
http://www.jwharris.com/jwref/chart/
Here is a link to JW Harris' site and this solder/brazing filler chart might help you select the rod and flux combo on a project you might have in the future. Links to lots of other cool info on the left of the screen.
John Wright
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 05-30-2004 13:07
brazing strength is dependant on the joint configuration. You cannot get original strength if you simply "replace" original material with braze alloy. This is where welding comes into play. There are some interesting charts online from some of the major alloy manufacturers which describe this in detail. Braze does usually produce a more ductile joint which can be of value in items exposed to shock loads. Welds may simply crack unless done within strict procedures. I'd say the shovel would best be welded properly.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / How strong is brazing?