Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Are the Flux-core welders worth it?
- - By wnc (*) Date 05-08-2004 11:13
I've been thinking of buying a Lincoln flux-core wire feed welder the past couple of years and I'm tired of trying to make a decision on it.
I've been looking at the 120VAC machine for use around the house/farm. Mostly just for tinkering purposes until I get used to using one of these and probably not welding anything over 1/4" thick. I hope to eventually use the gas add-on kit later.

I'm just wondering if these things are worth the money or am I going to be disappointed with it and end up selling it later on?

Also, will it be a requirement for me to put in a dedicated 20amp breaker just for this machine?

If it were you, having only the choice of Lincoln, would you or wouldn't you? I'll go with the majority because I'm sure you folks know a heckuva lot more about these things than I do. :-)

Thanks again
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-08-2004 11:53
wnc,
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=5211
Here is a link to some discussion on the same as you are asking about.
Hope this helps,
John Wright
Parent - By wnc (*) Date 05-09-2004 00:05
Thanks John
Parent - - By gangel99 (*) Date 05-09-2004 00:17
I am very happy with my Lincoln SP 135+ It is far superior to the 'Home Depot' style Weld Pak 100.

First, you really do need 20 amps. Next, I started with steel filler wire and Argon/CO2 mix which works great on thinner steel - 1/8" max. When I had to weld 1/4" I finally got some flux core wire and found it works very well. It produces more spatter but it does a very nice weld.

Hope this helps.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-10-2004 01:48
My first machine was a WeldPak 100 and it was a great stepping stone for me. I sold it to the racing team I work on for the race trailer and simple shop repair, anything more extensive is done with my new Milledrmatic 210 that I've had for just over a year and both have great usage possibilities. My position is no regrets over the Home Depot special, also most weld stores aren't open at 8pm on sunday night when something breaks and you need more consumables.
The long and short of it I would recomend a flux core machine for the entry level learning machine and for field repair of small equipment.
Good luck,
Parent - - By revpol Date 05-09-2004 06:47
wnc: Actually if you're to be using it around the house & farm you'll be using it outside probably alot and on some "not as clean surfaces" I'd say that flux core would be good. It'll weld in a little wind or thru a little rust where the gas shield won't as well. Besides it's less to lug around. revpol
Parent - By cutter220 (*) Date 05-09-2004 12:17
the small ones aren't but the bigger industrial ones are good
Parent - - By cccasey (**) Date 05-09-2004 17:51
I have the old Miller 130XP and have dedicated it solely for flux core and have taken the nozzle off to get better access and visibilty at the joint. It's great for up to 1/4". It will need to be plugged into a 20 -30 amp circuit breaker, (30 works best for the higher settings.) Lincolns are good too, to me it's like the argument over pick-up trucks, it's a personal preference. (Dodge vs Chevy vs Ford). Just get a machine in the same class, should cost anywhere from $550-$650 for the decent ones. Don't do the Home Depot or Walmart $200 machines unless you only weld once in a blue moon on something you don't care about.
Parent - By texarc (*) Date 05-10-2004 20:18

I just got a 3045fc wire feeder for my bobcat 225, its not a 110v unit the bobcat powers the welding, and the 110 from a outlet on the bobcat powers the spool, I love this wire feeder. But I will coment on the flux core wire. I spacificly whent with flux core for in the field use. It dose fine for me and I cant be more happy.
Parent - - By bigdemps Date 05-13-2004 15:15
We run a MillerMatic XP-135 and LOVE it! It has been absolutely trouble free for over two years now and is used regularly in a maintenance shop in a large school district (over 20,000 students) so it gets a real workout. We love the portability and the fact that we can just plug it into any outlet and go.

We initially used only flux cored wire in it but have found that it also does a very good job on welding stainless steel too. Using "Gold Gas" a mixed gas (mostly Argon), and a stainless welding wire we can repair serving lines, 3-compartment sinks and other stainless steel items. If you want to weld aluminum, you'll need to get a spool feeder that is built into the "gun" of the unit because aluminum wire will not feed the full length of the leads before it starts trying to wad up in the lines.

For plain old welding on mild steel, I advise you to go for the flux-core machines but don't get the bottom of the line, go for a 135 or better and you won't be dissappointed.
Parent - By wnc (*) Date 05-14-2004 00:52
Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it.

wnc
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Are the Flux-core welders worth it?