Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Proper Crater Fill
- - By RonSoda Date 05-09-2004 00:18
Hello, this is my first post here. I work in the railcar manufactering industry which happens to use AWS standards on all welding processes to fabricate railcars. a major concern is craters, always i see improper crater fills. I myself am a production welder and always practice filling my craters but i really don't know what the text book method is. Can someone point to some good net material on this topic.

Thanks
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-09-2004 09:57
Welcome to the forum!

Tell us which process your using and what materials and thicknesses, then the answers will come quickly.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-13-2004 15:51
Since there's been no response to Lawrence's post regarding process, material, and thickness, I'll respond by saying that in my mind the weld crater is a defect. As we all know, D1.1 allows unfilled craters with the exception of those outside their effective length in intermittent welds. I guess in this instance the crater is not considered a defect by AWS. Even though this is allowed by D1.1, I just have our shop guys fill them all in as they go. This eliminates any questions about whether the welders can leave craters on their welds or not. It also eliminates me having to worry about crater cracks, which can form in the weld pool as it solidifies and shrinks, causing the crater to tear due to shrinkage stresses. I don't know if there are any "textbook" methods for filling craters or not, but they can easily be eliminated by holding the arc at the end of the weld for a short time instead of quickly removing it, which is what our guys do in the shop. By holding the arc at the end of the weld, it allows the crater to fill up and helps reduce shrinkage forces. If there is a situation where craters are left and need to be filled after the fact, and if no cracks exist, the crater can be filled by welding from slightly beyond the crater back into the crater and towards the weld. I've seen single plate shear connections (AISC shear tabs) welded to supporting beams by other fabricators with unfilled craters at the tops of the welds. Very dangerous.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Proper Crater Fill