Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E71 TGS
- - By sofi-bj Date 05-09-2004 05:10
Please help me with E71 TGS. What about its chemical composition and What does "TGS" mean?
Thank you!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-09-2004 09:55

E = Electrode

7= 70,000 lbs tensile strength

1= Welds in all positions

T= Tubular wire

GS= Gasless

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldit/filler/

Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-10-2004 05:19
Since the electrode is E71T-GS, then the only one that can tell you the chemical composition and/or mechanical properties other than the tensile strength is the manufacturer. The "G" means that the electrode does not conform to a AWS specified classification such as E71T-1. per the AWS code the "G" actually means that properties are to be agreed upon between the manufacurer and purchaser.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-10-2004 12:49
GR,

Thanks for the correction.

I did a bunch of looking and did find some stuff on E71TGS but very little on E71T-GS (koblico had some data).

Where did you find the clairification for the actual meaning for "G" ? That would be a good one for me to know and be able to cite the refrence in the future.

Thanks

Lar
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2004 12:56
Lar,
I wonder if it is mfg specific? The reason I say this is I read somewhere that the G, GS stands for multi-pass or single-pass.
John Wright
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 05-10-2004 14:22
Volume 2 AWS Welding Processes Welding Handbook Eighth Edition, Page 171 Table 5.2. EXXT-G (Multiple-pass) and EXXT-GS (Single-pass) G & GS*. * As agreed upon between supplier and user.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-10-2004 14:47
The definitive place to look is always the AWS/ASME filler metal specification. In this case it would be A/SFA-5.20. In the Annex for A-5.20, it has a description as follows:

A7.16 EXXT-GS Classification. This classification is for single-pass electrodes that are not covered by any presently defined classification. Except for the tensile strength, which is specified, the requirements for this classification are not specified; they are agreed upon by the purchaser and supplier.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2004 15:10
So, I guess we were all correct? It is a gasless wire, it is agreed upon between purchaser and supplier, it is designated for (G) single pass or (GS)multipass (due to the deoxidizers in the flux may build up in the welds on multipasses). I still wish I knew where I read that though.
John Wright
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-10-2004 17:05
Actually, the way I understand it, the S after the G indicates that is for single pass welding. The G means that it has no other defined properties. One manufacturer could come out with a E71T-GS that uses shielding gas, and another manufacturer could come out with one that does not use gas.

I found another paragraph though, in AWS A5.20 regarding the "G"

A2.4 "G" Classification
A2.4.1 This specification includes electrodes classified as E6XT-G, E6XG-GS, E7XT-G, E7XT-GS. The "G" or "GS" indicates that the electrode is of a general classification. It is "general" because not all of the particular requirements specified for each of the other classifications are specified for this classification. The intent, in establishing this classification, is to provide a means by which electrodes that differ in one respect or another from all the other classifications can still be classified according to the specification. The purpose is to allow a useful electrode - one that otherwise would have to await a revision of the specification - to be classified immediately, under the existing specification. This means, then, that two electrodes - each bearing the same "G" classification- may be quite different in some certain respect.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2004 18:42
Actually, that does make more sense. I was looking at some of those GS wires and it seems some mfgs. state that external shielding gas can also be used as a bonus. Some stated that they can be used in multipass situations up to a certain number of layers, others stated it was limited to single pass. Maybe this is why some codes prohibit -G or -GS wires, due to you really don't know exactly what you have and they may or may not meet the notch or mechanical requirements.
John Wright
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-10-2004 18:50
Great thread!

Thanks guys,

I appreciate how you all really get down to solid facts and not only help the questioners, but do so in a way so the everybody else that picks up on the thread is also able to learn some really valuable trade information.

I'm both a better welder and a better teacher because of it. Especially now when the little garage migs are so abundant. There are alot of choices when it comes to filler wire especially the flux cores. The adivce I give will be much better.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E71 TGS