Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Raw Materials
- - By macgyver22 Date 05-12-2004 17:09
I'm having a heck of a time trying to find places where I can buy Steel and Aluminum materials. I've been to the Home Depot and they have some, but it is expensive and for only small sizes. I need to find some 1" steel square tubing to build a cart out of. I also need 1", 1 3/4", 2", 2 1/4" aluminum for another project. Any suggestions?

I'm in Houston, TX

BTW- They help I've gotten from these forums has been great thusfar!
Parent - By kam (**) Date 05-12-2004 17:39
I get alot of stuff at the local scrap yard. Sometimes I order it through Mc Master-Carr. Check the yellow pages as well.....should be a dealer in your area.

kam
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-12-2004 19:02
Steel Service Centers / Steel Distributors / Steel Warehouses (this is the listing they are under in our yellow book), we have a couple in my neck of the woods that we use. They carry aluminum and other materials as well. I would think Texas would have something similar.
Check out your Yellow Pages,
John Wright
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-12-2004 21:39
Try your local scrap yard first.
If that does'nt work, go to

Triple-S Steel Co (north Houston)
6000 Jensen Dr
1-713-697-3655

Triple-S Steel Co (south Houston)
7701 Monroe Blvd
731-941-1941
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 05-13-2004 11:47
The lumber yards are all too high in price. You'll find most prices at a steel supplier, or even a large fabricating Co. to be at least 50% of Building supply prices. Bigger pieces also. (full sticks will be sold) The local supplier here will cut structural stuff in half for free so it's transportable. (22ft. is mighty long for a pick-up)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-13-2004 13:57
To add to bz to the tenth's comment about 22ft being awfully long for a pickup...If you put this up on top of the rack, make sure the rack will handle the weight. If you know what sections, sizes, and the length are, there are charts to look up the weights per foot. If you know what you need before you go post the sizes and I can look it up for you if you don't have access to a chart.
John Wright
Parent - By New Welder Date 05-13-2004 17:19
There are more steel supply houses in Houston than just about any other part of the country. The best place for quality scrap steel (most is in new condition but odd sizes) is Rose Steel (also open on Saturday).

For the best selection of new steel has got to be SSS Steel (several locations in Houston). The SSS North store has a limited selection of misc size used steel (really new but of odd sizes).

For large quantities of bulk new steel the steel yard just North of the ship channel on Hwy 610 (sorry don't remember their name). The price changes by the hour at most of the steel houses so check before you go.

I really like SSS because of their selection and easy access to my shop but there are other houses that are less expensive but they require more effort on your part or larger orders.
Parent - By macgyver22 Date 05-13-2004 17:30
Wow, thanks for all the help with the steel. It really makes me wish it was lighter than it was. After reading all the posts on welding aluminum, it would much rather work with steel. But alas, for one project, weight and strength to weight is everything. Any suggestions on aluminum houses or where to find aluminum shops?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Raw Materials