Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / API format
- - By n4v4rr0 (*) Date 05-14-2004 00:38
I'm new in the forum and need some help. we´re trying to translate to spanish WPS format from API 1104 standard and we dont kwow what fill in the blanks after the words "for" and "welding of". is the name of the company? type of welding? material spavification or scope of the procedure?

thanks for your help.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-14-2004 05:05
http://world.altavista.com/
I don't know if this is helpful or not but this is the babelfish site. It is a language translation service. It's free.
Bill
Parent - By Bill A (**) Date 05-14-2004 13:23
I understand the confusion. API 1104 does not define what is meant by those two fields. However, the WPS form used in 1104 is not a mandatory format and you can use any format you wish, as long as all of the variables in section 5.3.2 are addressed. The two fields you mention are not included in 5.3.2 so they are not required. I do not think they pertain to either the material specification or process type, since there are other fields for those variables. The WPS form that our compnay adopted does not include those two fields.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 05-14-2004 15:05
BillA is correct, API says that forms similar to those in in Figures 1 and 2 "should" be used. Many companies design their own. Getting back to your question, the blank following "For" can be used for manual, automatic or semi-automatic. The blank following "Welding of" can be used for ferrous or non-ferrous.
Parent - - By Bill A (**) Date 05-14-2004 18:33
Note that the scope of API1104 says it only applies to carbon and low alloy steels, so entering "nonferrous" would probably raise some eyebrows.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 05-15-2004 15:30
Your right! That short circut between my brain and the keyboard got me again. You know what, I looked through our library and found that form (in slightly different formats) appearing in all previous editions. The earliest one we have is the 14th, published in 1977. The odd thing is, there is very little space provided for those two fields on those older example forms.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / API format