Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart Handers 140 and Aluminum
- - By macgyver22 Date 05-14-2004 19:21
I know this isn't the ideal setup for aluminum welding, but 'make lemonade out of lemons' I say.

Is there a spool gun that can be attached to this unit? I checked out Hobart and Millers site and it doesn't look like they make one for this unit. I know I would have to have a powersupply for the drive on the gun, but is there a vendor who makes spool guns for this system (that don't cost an arm and a leg). Hate to spend more on a gun than I did on the welder :)
Parent - By macgyver22 Date 06-14-2004 17:04
Well I guess I answered my own question. I finally got all the bits that I needed to use the Hobart 140 on Aluminum - I bought a teflon gun liner, and then at the suggestion of tech support, a knurreled roller. I also put in 0.035 5356 wire into the unit. No problems pushing it thusfar (knock on wood) butI have been keeping the gun pretty straight. Also, the only fuse in my garage is 15A, even with the volts and amps turned up for Al, I didn't trip the breaker, so I feel pretty good about not hurting the equipment though I am running at a slightly higher wire size (0.035 instead of the recomended 0.030).
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hobart Handers 140 and Aluminum