Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding different metals
- - By artgirl (*) Date 05-15-2004 20:42
I need to weld some old corrugated roofing panels (galvanized) to copper plumbing tubing and then weld mild steel sheet and rods to the copper tubing. Will silicon bronze wire and argon in my MIG welder work? I am sure you have guessed, I am making another weird art thing.

Thanks,
Artgirl
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-16-2004 04:38
I have no experience with mig and bronze wire but brazing this with an oxy-acetylene torch should present no problems.
Standard disclaimer about keep your head out of the galvanized fumes.
Bill
Parent - - By artgirl (*) Date 05-16-2004 17:29
Thanks Bill! I always wear a N99 respirator and keep my head out of the fumes when I am welding zinc. If I could do this rpoject on the bench instead of in mid air I would definitely braze. I can't figure out how to clamp it in the position I need to work. And it seems like a very large area to braze-- about 25 to 30 ft, maybe more.

Artgirl (BettyeTurner)
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-18-2004 03:33
Perhaps you should consider steel tubing, wrong color, but this sounds big and as another has mentioned, subject to aerodynamic forces. Be careful of "flutter" it can be very destructive. Steel is way stronger and is easier to weld. An all steel structure will also not be subject to galvanic corrosion as this one would. Strength may be an important consideration here.

You should have a website- then you should put pictures of your work on it- then you should post the url here so we can see some of your work.
Bill
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-17-2004 14:55
Hi Artgirl,

I'm not sure about the silicon bronze as I haven't done that before, but your post has me wondering about a few things.
Is this sculpture going to be placed outside? If so, the wind catching on the roofing panels may put a lot of stress on the welds, depending of course on your design. I wonder if the welds would be strong enough to compensate.
My first alternative thought was mechanical rivits for holding the copper and panels together.
Also, you could weld some steel half threaded couplings to the panels and screw in the copper, or bolt a copper end cap to the panel and solder the pipe.

Anyway, I'm sure you have something specific in mind, so I'll quit rambling on.

Good Luck,
Tim
Parent - - By artgirl (*) Date 05-18-2004 10:57
Actaully Tim, I do not have something specific in mind. I looked at the pile of good junk and thought the colors would be nice togther and then started figuring out how to build the thing. I have been concerned about the stress form wind also, and figured that since I planned opening between the panels it would be enough. But I like the idea of using rivets. It would be much more durable and maybe I could work in some kinetic motion that way.
I have plans to put up a website at the end of the summer and I will let you all know when it is up. As always, I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I have lots of imagination and very little technical expertise, so the help I get here is wonderful!

Thanks,
Artgirl
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-19-2004 06:35
If you want motion perhaps some connection with rubber in it is in order. As an example look at how the handle is connected to a lot of chainsaws. For cheap you could build a piece of tire sidewall into the connection. Could turn into a kind of constrained mobile.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding different metals