Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weld shrinkage
- - By bleadonman Date 09-17-2000 11:45
what is the formula for weld shrinkage when using fillet welds? and will the sme formula apply for longitudinal and transverse shrinkage and for double sided FW's?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-19-2000 14:24
There are a couple of formulae, one for transversal and one for longitudinal welding shrinkage in fillet welds, that you may use for practical purposes. There are also a couple of formulae to figure out the transversal and longitudinal warpage produced by welding in fillet welds. All of them employ mathematical symbols and I can't write them here because my computer hasn't got the facilities to include symbols in this answer.
So, I'll send them to you attached as a Word text to an e-mail. I hope you'll find them useful.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
PS. If any reader is interested in getting those formulae, simply post his e-mail right after this answer and I'll send them to him.
Parent - By - Date 09-26-2000 15:59
I would also be interested in this formula. Please reply to dsmith@haskellcorp.com. Thank you.
Parent - - By Neal (*) Date 10-02-2000 09:56
chapman@nypa.gov

Thanks professor
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-05-2000 17:32
Today, October 5, I've tried to send you a message containing the shrinkage formalae to the e-mail you indicated but the message came back for the following reason: "The recipient name was not recognized"
Giovanni
Parent - By - Date 10-03-2000 13:41
Would be greatful if you can send it to my address also muthuraman99@eth.net.
Parent - - By gary h craine Date 10-03-2000 18:07
I would like to also be copied in on this. my e-mail: garycraine@premcorinc.com
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-05-2000 17:30
Today, October 5, I've tried to send you a message containing the shrinkage formulae to the e-mail you indicated, but the message came back for the following reason: "The recipinet name was not recognized"
Giovanni
Parent - By weldher Date 10-03-2000 20:58

I would also appreciate this information. Thanks!
weldher@intrstar.net
Parent - By Prince J Date 03-26-2002 18:23
I would appreciate any information concerning weld shrinkage that you could supply.

Thanks,
Prince J
Parent - By chall (***) Date 03-26-2002 19:54
I, too, would appreciate the information you offer. Thank you sir, Charles Hall, chall@cianbro.com
Parent - - By M-Squared (**) Date 03-27-2002 19:57
I would like to look at these. Thanks

Please send to:

mmruczek@ai-eri.com
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-28-2002 00:17
To: Prince, Mr. Hall and M Squared
Please let me know your mailing address and I'll send you the formulae by air mail. They must be read along with a few drawings which I'm not able to reproduce electronically.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-27-2008 03:21
I know this is an old thread.
ctacker@bradkenamericas.com

Only if its still available.
Thanks, Carl
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 03-27-2002 17:54
As always, Prof. Crisi is right, there are a number of different equations for predicting distortion due to welding. There are however serious problems with them. Some equations give really good predictions, but only under certain circumstances. Others give good predictions under other circumstances. This is so because there are so many variables that contribute to the final distortion.

I am currently busy with my MSc. research regarding a model for predicting distortion, and I can assure you that it is heavy going. In fact, I can say with reasonable certainty that there are no analytical equations that are applicable under all circumstances. The only way to go is to use a numerical analysis approach. The problem with this is that with the current software, based on FEA, you need a PHD just to get an answer.

I am not discouraging you to try the analytical equations that you will receive, I am merely trying to make you aware that depending on your circumstances, you may have to try a number of different ones till you get one that works under your particular circumstances. Often this is more of a hassle than just doing a test and seeing what happens.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-27-2002 22:40
I have to agree that distortion formulas are not exact. Many will put you in the ball park but actual conditions will vary. I have used various formulas published by Lincoln Electric and found they come reasonably close to actual results (so far). However I can't "dial in" the numbers close enough to fully compensate for the weld shrinkage. I find you have to use trial and error to some extent and even then no 2 weldments will be exactly the same. At the same time I don't think trying to predict distortion is useless. It has helped a lot in figuring out how to preset parts and place strongbacks to reduce distortion, and has reduced some trial and error testing.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-28-2002 00:22
Dear Niekie,
In first place, thank you for your kind opinion on my person, which I don't deserve for sure.
Second, a few weeks ago I've sent you the long time promised method on how to install insulation in a PWHT vessel when the supporting clips were nor provided and you can't weld them at site because of the PWHT the vessel was subjected to. Have you received it?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 03-28-2002 18:19
No, I have not received it yet. The mail to South Africa can certainly be slow at times, so I will not be too worried about it yet. I am waiting in keen anticipation for the material.

Thanks
Niekie
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 04-08-2002 19:14
Thanks Prof. Crisi, I received your mail yesterday. It is much appreciated.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weld shrinkage