Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / REPAIR OF BASE METAL CRACK
- - By rrush Date 05-19-2004 15:23
I have a slot in a formed part that is used to locate another part via a tab. When this part was formed, the brake was too close to the slot and the corner of the slot cracked about 1/16" long. This area welds up when the two pieces are joined together. By code D1.1 5.26.1.4 cracks shall be removed for 2". This doesn't seam practical in this instance. What should be done?
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 05-24-2004 14:48
Hi

I am not a D1.1 expert, but seeing as you have not received an answer yet, I will give you my interpretation of this. (Assuming that D1.1 is the applicable code for your job.)

D1.1 requires that the entire crack is removed, along with 2" of sound metal on either end of the crack. From your description, your crack lies through the entire thickness of the part. If this is so, then the additional 2" are obviously not applicable. (How do you grind and weld 2" of air?)

I really do not think that the intention of this paragraph is to require you to grind 2" in thickness.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Fabristruct Solutions
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-24-2004 15:28
I agree with Niekie3 as it's not practical. I would replace the cracked bent tab plate if possible, or repair by completely removing the crack via carbon arc or similar means and weld back. Need to address both sides of the plate when gouging out the crack. You could probably check with MT to make sure the crack is no longer present.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / REPAIR OF BASE METAL CRACK