Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / guided bend tests
- - By schaller mobil Date 05-20-2004 03:39
acceptance criteria is stated clearly in the 2002 D1.1 code book at 4.8.3.3, however I am confused about the width of the coupon being tested. The same acceptance criteria certainly cannot be the same for a 1 1/2" root and face bend as it is for a 1/2"side bend right?

Parent - - By ziggy (**) Date 05-20-2004 16:32
Whether qualifying a WPS (Section 4 - Part B) or a weldor (Section 4 - Part C) the acceptance criteria for bend tests is the same. (D1.1:2002 - 4.8.3.3 & 4.30.5)
Are your coupons from pipe or tube?
Parent - - By schaller mobil Date 05-21-2004 02:27
Ziggy,I'm aware that the acceptance criteria stays the same and that is my question. As the coupon width decreases shouldn"t the acceptance criteria follow suit, I mean 3/8 accumulative defects in 1 1/2" is one thing but when you apply that to a 1/2" coupon it;s almost imposible to fail?
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-21-2004 13:41
Hi schaller mobil,

Not necessarily, because for side bend coupons the entire cross section of the weld is stressed, which is especially useful for exposing defects near the mid-thickness, which may not have otherwise contributed to failure in face or root bend coupons, and are more likely to be exposed during side bending. Since face bend coupons are stressed more at the top of the weld, and root bend coupons are stressed more at the root, the welds on these two coupons are really only moderately stressed during bending, with less stress at the mid-thickness when compared to side bends.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 05-21-2004 17:24
I would agree that there is less cross sectional area for a defect to be found in 1/2" plate but is far from impossible to be able to fail.

Brian J. Maas
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / guided bend tests