Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Novice welder...
- - By Alex94TAGT Date 05-20-2004 08:48
Hello,

I may be out-of-line by posting here, but this seems like a very active/informative board. Sorry to plague you with my ignorance, but I could use a little insight.

I'm a 20-year-old college student, but part-time automotive enthusiast/hobbyist. I recently purchased a gasless Craftsman 120v FCAW with the following specifications: (gasp)

Input: 120Vac/20amp
Single-phase/60hz freq
Welding Range: 60-120amps
Output: 17v/80amp
20% duty cycle (ouch!)
25Vac open-circuit max
-Supposedly welds 18 gauge to 3/16" on a single pass.

I am aware of the pros/cons of flux-core, but know nothing about the welders themselves. I bought this primarily to learn how to weld, while also getting a few simplistic projects out of the way. I honestly dont care how the welds look -- I'm just concerned with functionality. After sifting through some old threads here at AWS, I'm worried that this thing is going to be an utterly worthless welder. (-I have not used it yet)

So, my question is, Did I just shoot myself in the foot by going with a Craftsman? Or would something like this be a decent stepping-stone for a novice? Money isn't a huge issue, but this kit seemed convenient and suitable for my application (minimal). I suppose I should also mention that I dont have access to a 240v outlet unless I weld stuff on top of my washer/dryer (-hesitant, but not wholly steadfast). ;)

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter. I think I know what's coming...

Best Regards,

Alex Iams
Parent - By Alex94TAGT Date 05-20-2004 08:48
Whoa. -Didn't realize I wrote a book. Sorry about that...

And yes, I realize this is a subjective decision. Just looking for some thoughts.

~Alex
Parent - By sparx (**) Date 05-20-2004 13:34
Well Alex.....let me start by saying, welcome to the forum. As for the choice in machines, I am not going to say it was a bad choice. A lot of guys will look at this type of equipment as a starting point to learn how to weld. I don't think you made a mistake, but if as you say, money isn't an issue, I would have opted for a "brand" name machine. The biggest difference in this entry level equipment isn't shown on a spec sheet. Sure your machine will put out about 120 amps, and yes it will give you 17 volts, and yes, like other machines this size, has only 20% duty cylce, etc...etc.... but the biggest difference between these machines and the units from Lincoln, Miller, etc... is the construction of them under the covers. The quality of materials used in building these units from the "big three" are superior to those that are used in the machines produced for "supermarket" chains. I don't really want to call them cheap machines, but that is the only word I can think of right now.
With all that said, as long as you are just using this as a learning device, for short periods, on lighter gauge material, I think you will be okay with this. If you push this to and past it's limits, then I will have to say, you should have spent a bit more on quality.
As for learning to weld, good luck and stick with it(no pun intended)
regards
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 05-20-2004 15:37
Welcome Alex!

FCAW is nice, but GMAW is much nicer. I'm not sure who makes the welders for Craftsman, but I think that Hobart makes one of the larger MIG machines for them. The most annoying thing about my 90amp Craftsman (my first machine) was that the wire was always electrically live. I flashed myself alot until I bought an auto-darkening helmet.

You made a statement "I honestly dont care how the welds look -- I'm just concerned with functionality" that I think needs clarification. In my experience, a good weld is always a good looking weld. There may be surface differences like 6010 vs 7018 or the TIG "stack of dimes", but the general visual appearance of good welds is similar.

Also, where MIG is concerned, the inverse is NOT true. A good looking weld does not assure you a good penetrating weld. You can get very nice looking MIG welds that have minimal penetration.

Good Luck and have fun with your new hobby!

Bill
Parent - By Alex94TAGT Date 05-20-2004 18:28
Thanks for your prompt responses ~ and for the kind welcome...

Sparx -- That's exactly what I was worried about once I got this Crafstman unit home ('why didn't I buy a brand-name welder?'). I guess the fact that the unit was on sale urged me to buy it. You always get what you pay for, right? Money isn't a major concern on this purchase, but I dont like to be wasteful either... if I can help it.

I'm strongly considering to return this unit before I use it, and go buy a 'real' welder. I dont think this Craftsman can be converted to shielding-gas like some others on the market, so it truly is limited. I figure there's no point in learning to weld if the unit is not capable. Home Depot carries some Lincoln welders -- they have what's called a 'Weld-Pak 3200HD' (costs roughly $437). I might go check that out this evening unless you guys have any objections. Or, would I be better off just going all-out for an $800+ welder?

Bill -- Yeah, this unit is also a live-wire deal. That's one of the first things I found out once I opened the instruction manual. I'd probably go blind within a year...

As far as my statement concerning aesthetics and weld quality, I was unaware that there was a strong correlation between the two. I was merely under the impression that flux-core creates 'uglier' welds than MIG (and especially TIG) due to the increased spatter/slag. If it's not blatantly obvious at this point, I truly have a simplistic understanding of this stuff -- I learned most of what little I know last-night on the Internet.

Anyway, I think I'll take your advice and go after a standard GMAW. Back to the drawing board...

Thanks again for all your help,

Alex
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Novice welder...