Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What have we got here?
- - By awill4x4 (**) Date 09-18-2000 20:12
Some years ago, we purchased the aged stock of a government aircraft factory consisting mainly of Al 2024 and 6061 grades for the manufacture of wings for sprintcar racing.
Recently we found in the material stack a sheet of metal we can't identify.
It is: RMI 6AL-4V ANN
RMI HT 880104 03 00 GA.050
SPEC MIL-T-9046H TYPE3 COMP C
Any help in identifying this material would be appreciated. Perhaps with an overview of its weldability and bendability.
regards Andrew.
Parent - By pdweldor (*) Date 09-18-2000 20:52
It is probably titanium, grade Ti - 6 Al - 4 V (Ti64) in the annealed condition. RMI is a titanium producer in the United States. Strike an arc on it and the bead should look shiny (keep the gas on it till it cools)
and the backside will likely turn white. Look in a handbook for more information on it, there is a lot of information out there.

Regards.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-19-2000 14:06
MIL means a "military" standard, i.e., one that's been issued by the U.S. armed forces. The one you mention in your question shouldn't be a military secret and must be available in any technical library (isn't there an engineering school near you?) or directly from the armed forces of the U.S.A. (isn't there a military dependency near you?).
Another source should be the manufacturer, i.e., the RMI company, whose address I don't know buy shouldn't be that difficult to find, especially if you're in the U.S.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What have we got here?