Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Paint for welding booths
- - By - Date 09-18-2000 23:17
I am in the process of remodeling the welding shop at the high school where I teach. I've built new welding booths and am ready to paint them. Does anyone have any suggestions for me concerning paint colors and types that work well for welding booths? I am open for suggestions. I prefer not to use a flat black or other dark color. I am trying to help the booth be not dark. I have heard that I should avoid a gloss paint to avoind the refection of light from behind you to enter your helmet and burn your eyes. I am anxiously awaiting your responses-
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-25-2000 20:26
So far you havn't received any answer, so I'll give you my opinion.
I agree with you on the colors question. Don't choose dark colors paints. Dark colors in jobsites are oppressive.
About the reflection of UV rays by gloss paints, it might be somewhat exaggerated by it makes sense. So, choose dull paints that won't reflecrt the UV rays.
Don't forget the curtains to isolate visually the welding booth from the outside. Modern curtains are made of some kind of plastic that's transparent when welding is off but get instantly dark when the arc is striken
Giovanni s. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Steve (*) Date 01-04-2001 13:49
You need to paint in a color that is flat and non-reflective. Ideal it would be a black or a dark green I would suggest a latex paint because of the lower chance of burning paint and fumes due to strike marks, ect. I operate a school shop with 70 booths and the black painted booths reflect the least the school district painted some of the booths a flat med. dark blue and these reflect too much light. Hope this helps.
Stephen
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 01-05-2001 18:26
See the AWS publication "Ultraviolet Reflectance of Paint", code ULR.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Paint for welding booths