Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / lincoln or miller? educate me
- - By DongeR Date 05-23-2004 01:08
This would be my second post here and I would like to purchase a TIG welder for aluminum, sheet metal, and steel welding. Can someone recommend one? I’d like to weld aluminum and steel up to ¼” inch. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45031&item=3816732267&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57039&item=3816938906&rd=1

These two are about the price I am willing to spend for a TIG. I am not even sure if these machines will weld aluminum. How big of a bottle should I get for my garage (house). Educate me...
Thanks

Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-24-2004 04:24
I will not try to hide that I prefer Miller and I've used both but not the tig units. Both machines have ACand DC output. For welding Aluminum you'll need AC. By adjusting the current balance pos-to-neg you can adjust the cleaning action and penetration.
Both are capable of doing the job but the miller machine has been on the market awhile, the lincoln is new. Newer isn't always better and I prefer not to be a guinnea pig. Miller has a forum on their website www.millerwelds.com go to motorsports and click askandy, you'll have to register to ask any questions you also can read what others have had to say.
Don't go crazy on gas, a medium size cylinder is good. Straight Argon is what you'll want normally but by getting a medium size cylinder if you should need a helium mix for real thick material you can geta small one for that.

FYI: Tig is a difficult process to master and on the askandy forum is a man that is great with writen description of how to's, his name is HAWK. Aluminum is the hardest welding within the tig process and gives veterans some trouble now and then so patience is required and lots of practice. I would do all I could to do steel first in tee,butt,lap,corner, and edge welds then switch to Aluminum. Build on easier to harder rather than starting with the hardest first.
Email me if I can help more.

Good luck,
Parent - - By DongeR Date 05-30-2004 16:58
Thanks for the reply, I got to play with a MIG and it wasn’t a very good job. There were a lot of air holes. A friend said a TIG would be very easy to clean up the globs that are on the welds from the MIG.
I really need more practice with the MIG.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 06-04-2004 01:51
Mig is the easier process and mostly technique differences to make better welds. Try back hand { dragging the bead} with 75 degree angle{ slightly off vertical} Email me if I can help on the by line put welding questions.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-07-2004 16:38
Sounds like you may not have a good gas coverage if porosity (holes) is the problem. Are you using solid wire or fluxcore? Some fluxcore wire is self-shielded and does not need an external shielding gas, however if you are using solid (mig) wire you definitely need the shielding gas to prevent the holes you are talking about. Technique will have an effect on gas coverage too, if you are leaning the gun too much you can lose gas coverage.
Just a few thoughts,
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / lincoln or miller? educate me