Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / How do I get a start in inspection?
- - By welder12571 Date 05-24-2004 01:05
[deleted]
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-24-2004 11:54
I began my CWI career in exactly the same way, 23 years ago. I could advise many things but recognise right away you need tobe willing to travel. There are very very few CWI jobs which are "permanent." IF you are willing to travel, I suggest looking places like Monster.com, Inspectionjobs.com, Flipdog.com, etc. If you need some more specific advice send me an e-mail and I'll see if I can't put you on the right course! Good luck in the interim!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-24-2004 11:55
I have been a welder and CWI (currently expired) since around 90. I have gone back and forth from welding to inspection as the situation required. I know a few people who only inspect and they are very good at it and have prospered.

There are some skills that are needed to get the "Good Jobs" in many cases however I have not chosen to develop those. Being in the right place at the right time helps ALOT.

In my opinion, being able to travel is key. Just like welding, there are more opportunities in the field.

Keep your eyes open and if the opportunity comes up on your job, use some of the skills/knowledge you gained as a CWI. I would strongly suggest continuing your education through self study or other means. More than likely what you learned in the prep class had more to do with passing the test than being prepared on the job.

I hope that things work out.

PS. A job was just posted on my website for an inspector in the New york area. The contract info can be seen at http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/jobs.htm at the bottom of the page.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-24-2004 14:14
Good advice Gerald. Also, while we're not sure which line of associated work this guy wishes to get into I could also suggest reading over and over and over again any and all of the related Codes that are applicable. To be absolutely truthful, this is one of the key things which has prospered my own career.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-24-2004 15:12
I aggree. A STRONG working knowledge of codes and how to use them is pretty invaluable.

GA
Parent - By mdagg (*) Date 12-28-2004 02:11
I suggest you take up another hobby that pays better.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / How do I get a start in inspection?