Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SMAW welders- which is best?
- - By jake3240 Date 05-24-2004 05:07
I'm somewhat of a novice weldor (one year in a high school shop class) and decided that I want to get a welder of my own, but I'm not sure which one to get. I figured that a stick welder would be best for my financial situation (~$400) and for the work that I'll be doing (BBQ pits with thick steel). The one I've been looking at mostly is the Hobart Stickmate LX 235 AC/160DC. The only difference between it and a similar lincoln was the infinite amperage control on the Hobart. Do y'all have any recommendations or advice about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By jfwi (*) Date 05-25-2004 00:01
You can get some pretty cheap SMAW machine that will run 3/32 easily and 1/8 if the steel is not to thick (1/2 and up) for an 110 electric power source, portable weld generators will be a little more. Look in the newspaper, your local buy anything paper. Honestly $400 if spent right should get you a good machine. Remember old welders still are a good option. I've seen some ugly looking "piles" that will get the job done. If you live in a city where your choices will be more plentiful that will help, (shop around). Besides if you can weld with the "pile" when you either make enough money to buy something newer or go to work for some one with the good stuff, you will be surprised at the improvement in your welds

Summary: buy some thing that will not break you, weld with it first, so you can buy more rod to practice with.

Out, jfwi
Parent - - By jake3240 Date 05-25-2004 02:20
Thanks for your post. 240 volt power isn't a problem, as I could easily run a line from the utility pole into our shed. I hadn't thought about a used welder, but that's an idea. I'll look around in the greensheet & see if I can find anything decent. I live in the Houston area so I should find something. Also, do y'all have any brand preferences concerning performance and reliability as far as lincoln, hobart, and miller?

Again, thanks for y'alls help.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-26-2004 01:46
Miller, and Hobart are cousins that would be my first choices but have owned Lincoln and would be fine with it also. Definently stay away from the no name and brand seconds, parts availability 5 years from now is questionable on lesser brands. Lincoln and Miller are the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge of the welding world each is spending big money on technology and they will still be here in years to come.
Good luck,
Parent - By weldersales (**) Date 05-30-2004 23:22
My goodness Jake, you are right in the middle of the welding capitol of the world. There are more used welders within 25 miles of Houston than there are cows in Texas! You are getting good advice on the used welders. Miller and Hobart are the same machine in the size you are considering, but if you will look at the Miller Dialarc or the Lincoln AC/DC 250 you will see that they are several times the machine the smaller units are, even the Home Depot level of machines. These $1400 welders sell on the used market for $300 to $500 every day. The real bargains are in the $3000 industrial machines that sell for $500 and up. If you will email me, I will give you several names of companies in Houston area that will have these and if they happen to be out of them, I have them all here 240 miles up the road. Thanks, Larry
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-25-2004 02:26
The Hobart is a nice machine and I would not be ashamed of it. I own a millermatic210 and it will get up there in metal thickness 3/8" but multi-pass I've done 1 1/2" for small areas, but the price is triple the amount you intend to spend. Mig is easier for a consistancy but stick will get the job done only slower.

Check out www.millerwelds.com for a miller machine and www.brwelder.com for some pricing. For the novice buying locally has a distinctive advantage of the personal touch but, do your own research and go into the showroom informed and knowing the prices and you'll get a better deal, or at least if you pay more your paying for knowledge behind the counter.

Good luck,
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SMAW welders- which is best?