Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Paint gas cylinder?
- - By Merkaba Date 05-28-2004 02:12
I have a question for anyone out there, is it safe to repaint an old gas cylinder? I just bought a welder and a 80c.f. cylinder with argon/c02, and it's brown, so i think it would look better repainted. Thanks!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-28-2004 03:10
No reason not to repaint it. Call your gas supplier to find out how badly they want it to be brown. If they exchange rather than refill your cylinder this is of course a waste of time.
Bill
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 05-28-2004 11:16
As Bill says, check your supplier. Mine is Praxair, and brown is their color for exchange cylinders of C25!
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 05-29-2004 05:13
There are no standard color codes.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-29-2004 12:14
Here's a link to page 4-24 on the Integrated Publishing site showing identifying color patterns for gas cylinders:

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14250/css/14250_98.htm

The subject of the identification of gas cylinders actually begins on page 4-23 and goes through 4-26.

Near the end of the subject on page 4-26, it states "For a complete listing of compressed gas cylinders, refer to MIL-STD 101B, “Color Code for Pipelines and for Compressed Gas Cylinders", which indicates a military standard. One paragraph refers to one of the charts as color codes for compressed gas cylinders most often found in a construction battalion or in a public works department where Seabee personnel are working. The article also goes on to state at the end that the commercial industry does not necessarily comply with these color codes. I think that there are no standard color codes for the commercial industry, because the color codes vary from supplier to supplier. Looks like there would be though, for obvious reasons. I remember a few years ago, there was a young man working in a paint booth for Freightliner. He hooked up to his respirator what he thought was oxygen but it was argon. Since argon is odorless and tasteless, the guy never knew the difference, and it killed him.

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-07-2004 17:07
If you paint over the stencils (usually located on the neck of the cylinder) and use too much paint, it might pose a problem when trying to refill.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Paint gas cylinder?