Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.3-98 where does it end?
- - By Joel Date 05-29-2004 19:44
When performing a Welder Performance Qualification Test for Arc spot welds AWS D1.3-98 list the qualified thickness range as (Thickness tested) in Table 4.2. Paragraph 4.8.1.2 confirms this.

The essential variables for the PQR Table 4.3 (9d) allow a range for 16 gage or thinner if the test is performed on 18 gage sheet.

Since welding arc spot welds is not prequalified does this mean it requires that welders performing deck welds need to qualify for each thickness with a WPS and supporting PQR and WPQT for each. If so if the base material changes thickness does this also require a new WPS.

I also notice that the WPS and PQR forms do not have a place for base material coating specifically. Does this imply that if welding painted joist that it doesn’t matter the coating thickness or that another set of WPS, PQR, WPQT’s need to be performed for each combination of welds made with differing coating, sheet thickness’, and base material thickness’.
If so that would mean to weld down the roof of the average warehouse with three different thicknesses of deck, three different thickness joist, with different coating thickness’ and lap joints would require - 18 different WPS, PQR and WPQT’s.
Please help I can’t expect this but would like to follow the code if possible
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 06-03-2004 01:52
You are qualified 16 ga and thinner. Period.
Base metal thickness is not an essential variable.
Coatings are an essential variable. If you grind the coating during your qualification process, then welding over a coating would require re-qualification.
Parent - - By Joel Date 06-03-2004 02:47
Vonash
I took a second look at Table 4.2 and notice that Figure 4.1 (Page 21) was the only Joint that referanced paragraph 4.7.2(3) of part C. This makes me think that this is the only joint that paragraph 4.7.2(3) applies to. If not why does Table 4.2 say under <Qualified> - Thickness- for joint 4.5A (Thickness tested) as apposed to Thickness tested and thinner?
Ref. also para: 4.8.1.2
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 06-04-2004 06:01
Hey Joel.
Take a McDonald's break. You might need a little protien. My original post stands. Read, and understand the standard. It ain't brain surgery.
My very best regards,
Vonash
Parent - - By Bridge Guy Date 06-18-2004 19:39
Joel
Don’t listen to Vonash he must work at Mc Donald. You were right D1.3 has separate essential variables for the welder qualification test and the PQR has its own essential variables. The exception would be square groove welds that allow you to qualify for something thinner than the welder qualification test.

Arc spot welds are only qualified for the thickness tested see table 4.2 (Note if you have a different coating such as Galvanized vs. painted you will also be required to have a separate test with a supporting WPS and PQR. (Note the prequalified joints re not prequalified if welding through coating such as paint or galvanizing.

If you are welding light gage steel studs used for wallboard and brick support systems the test only qualifies you for thicknesses thicker than the test see table 4.2.

Joel if you talk to the Engineer of record on the project in question he may lighten the requirements as he sees fit D1.3 an be burdensome and reductions may be appropriate in smaller jobs.

Good luck and don’t listen to guys that work at Mc Donalds they should stick to flipping burgers.

Bridge guy
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 06-18-2004 21:58
Hey! I love Micky D's. But I stand corrected. I must have had too many McNuggets before answering that post. Bridgedude is right.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.3-98 where does it end?