Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / These two guys!
- - By rjt70 (*) Date 05-31-2004 05:16
So, these two guys walk into a bar....you would think the second one would have seen it and ducked!!!!

OK, not that funny, but I just purchased a Linde UCC305 off Ebay. The seller said it works great. Are any of you familiar with this machine? My wife wants to know WTF I'm going to do with a 1000.# + machine in the garage. I told her, weld stuff, all kinds of stuff. Has anyone here had experience with one of these? I got it cheap, it's single phase, and AC/DC to boot! BTW, I'm going to school for an associates degree in welding technology, and thought this might be a good first addition. Comments please, especially ones that come from experience with these machines! Can this machine do GMAW? I realize I'll have to have my electrician over to give me a dedicated circuit, no big deal for me. I hope I'm that that second guy that walked into the bar! Input please!
Parent - By weldersales (**) Date 05-31-2004 13:16
The UCC305 is one of the best values in the marketplace. They are bulletproof. Has one $100 board in it and one contactor that seldom needs replacing. Weighs 965# and has a nice form factor - flat on top so fits nicely in shop. Run some 6/3 cable to it from your breaker box. Came out in about 1970, Linde's first solid state tig welder that they built themselves. Being solid state, it will accept the new fingertip controls that fit into torch handle in case foot control is not convenient for your application. I remember being at the Florence, SC plant in 1973 where Linde built the 305 and they gave us a sample of the insulation material used in the coils and challenged anyone to tear it. Teeth, knives, tools - nothing touched it. They use anodized aluminum straps that have leads of copper thermal-compression bonded, I believe is the term they used, to them. At any rate, I have seen one transformer failure in thirty years, and it looked like something got into transformer from outside. This is one tough little guy. Had one of these in my garage for a decade. Never opend the case.
As for gmaw, the story is same as for any tig. The 305 will do the same good or bad as any other single phase tig. The main drawback is that you need the expensive arc voltage wire feeder to get halfway decent results, but on that day someone leaves the hi freq on, there goes the board in the feeder, and that one is not $100. Bad day in the shop. Weldersales
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / These two guys!