Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Opinions on Smith Torch kits
- - By bwlarson_ca Date 06-01-2004 16:04
Any opinions on the Smith Cavalier Oxy/Acetylene torch kit, or Smith equipment in general. The particular kit I am looking at is found at the following URL

http://www.smithequipment.com/products/outfits/boxed.htm

Any and all information will be appreciated,

Thank you,

Barry
Parent - By LarryL (**) Date 06-01-2004 17:29
I'm not familiar with Smith's Cavalier model but I have been using their Airline torch for 20 years. Except for an initial oxygen regulator problem it's being a problem-free and reliable torch. Several months after I began using it, I noticed that the torch's neutral flame gradually changed to an oxidizing flame while welding. Being a welding novice, I didn't realize the significance of this until a friend explained to me that there might be a problem with the regulators. By this time the year's warranty had expired. I phoned Smith's customer service anyway and the technical rep. confirmed that I probably had a pinhole leak in the oxygen regulator's diaphragm. He sent me a new regulator at no cost and the torch has been working perfectly with it since then. They didn't even want the old regulator back. Now that's the kind of company whose products I'll purchase again - except that my torch is so sturdily made that I may never need another one.

Smith's Airline torch is widely used for aircraft repair and construction across the Country.

LarryL
Parent - By Sand Man (**) Date 06-02-2004 01:31
I am also unfamiliar with cavalier kit, but I have used the MC series for 20 years on heavy earthmoving and mining equipment, and farm use.
I have two and they have always performed well. Smith is made in Watertown, South Dakota USA

Jeff
Parent - By - Date 06-02-2004 04:31
BUY IT if it fits your hand.
There are only 2 problems with Smith torches;
1, they don't wear out
2, people steal them
Parent - By aircraft (**) Date 06-06-2004 15:58
I'm not a fan of the aw1a handle, I like the aw10 has better gas flow with no restrictions and still fits all the aw1a attachments.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Opinions on Smith Torch kits