Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Crater Hole
- - By bmaas1 (***) Date 06-05-2004 03:37
I am trying to find out how to eliminate or greatly reduce crater hole.

Process: GMAW
Parameters APPROX: volts--26-28, amps--260 range, gas Stargon tri-mix, .052 wire ER70-S6

We fill the crater but still get crater holes, some worse than others.
Welding carbon steel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Brian J. Maas
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 06-06-2004 03:45
There are a couple of ways to deal with this.

Fill the crater holes, much like you are doing now, but pull the gun back to keep a longer electrical stickout to reduce amperage somewhat.

Another method would be to increase travel speed at the very end of the weld. This does take some practice.

Ther other method I've come across is backing up 1/4-3/8" from the end of the weld. This method may still produce a crater, but it should be somewhat smaller than before. This method will also locate the crater on the weld, not at the end of the weld.

Welds with craters at the end seem to cause the most problems.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck

brande
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 06-07-2004 12:31
Hi Brian,

It's just a matter of technique. Craters can easily be eliminated by holding the arc at the end of the weld for a short time instead of quickly removing it. By holding the arc at the end of the weld, it allows the crater to fill up and helps reduce shrinkage forces.
If the welders are terminating their welds at the end of something such as a shear bar, they could start the weld at one end, weld towards the middle, terminate the weld about half way while briefly hold the arc at the end, then start at the opposite end, weld towards the first termination, burn through it, and briefly hold the arc to ensure the proper profile.
If there is a situation where craters are left and need to be filled after the fact, the craters need to be carefully checked for cracks before filling, because as you probably know, crater cracks can form due to improper arc termination. If no cracks exist, the crater can be filled by welding from slightly beyond the crater back into the crater and towards the weld.
brande indicated that welds with craters at the end cause the most problems. I definitely agree with that and since you are a CWI, is this where you're finding the biggest problem also? The older D1.1 codes used to state in what used to be Section 3 Workmanship, that "welds shall be terminated at the end of a joint in a manner that will ensure sound welds". I don't think this phrasing is used in the more current editions, but for obvious reasons should still be a general rule of thumb. Also, as you probably know, D1.1 has specific provisions for fillet weld terminations of nontubular statically and cyclically loaded structures.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Crater Hole