Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / guided bend tests
- - By schaller mobil Date 06-07-2004 12:02
After completing a guided bend test is it required to keep the test specimens for any period of time? If so how long?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-07-2004 12:48
No requirement by code however your company QA Manual or other internal document may have other requirements.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-07-2004 13:07
As Gerald said, there is nothing in most codes requiring retaining specimens for any length of time. Usually the most you will see required is for QA inspection to witness and verify test results. If there was no QA witnessing, I normally keep any samples for the duration of the project , just in case anything is questioned later. After that, I throw them out.
Naturally, I hang on to "unusual" specimens for paperweights or conversation pieces.

Chet Guilford

Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 06-07-2004 18:07
Hi,

I keep all my bend test specimens for one reason. I don't have any formal training or certifications, and I'm not a CWI like Chet and some of you other guys. I have been in the structural fabrication business for 28 years and have had the opportunity to work with and learn from some very knowledgeable people. I continue to learn daily, especially from the questions and answers from all the knowledgeable people on this site. A couple things I do in our shop is to write welding procedures and qualify our welders using the guided bend tests. Since I was qualified per D1.1 solely by experience years ago, I feel it is necessary for me to hang on to all coupons for at least the duration of a welder's employment with the company, just in case an outsider feels the need to question my knowledge or ability, or a particular welder's ability. It hasn't happened yet, but when it does, I can just show someone the welder's coupons and let them see for themselves or their representative that the coupons meet the acceptance criteria. I have been told by a couple CWI's that by me not being certified it may raise the "conflict of interest question", especially since I'm the production manager too, but I can guarantee that our welders have been qualified in strict accordance to the D1.1 code, and I have the coupons to prove that they meet the acceptance criteria.
Specific requirements in D1.1 regarding inspector qualifications became mandatory after January 1, 1981. Among other things which were not actually previous code requirements, it stated that only AWS Certified Welding Inspectors or their personally supervised assistants to perform inspection work. In later editions of D1.1, engineers and technicians, by training, experience, or both, were deemed competent to perform inspection duties. When I read this, I called myself an experienced technician, and no one ever questioned it. I noticed in the D1.1 2004 code, the words "engineers and technicians" have been replaced with "an individual", which may further open the door for guys like me. Each time I get a new D1.1, the first thing I look at is to see whether or not the inspection qualification requirements have changed.

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / guided bend tests