Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / will TIG BE MUCH BETTER
- - By 340mag Date 06-09-2004 14:42
Im trying to decide on what welder to buy, I have used oxy-acetolene and stick welders for years and some mig and tig but mostly on steel, now im going to be doing quite a bit of aluminum work also,Im looking to find the best choice for a hodrod shop I own,some guys suggest the miller 251 with optional 30a spool gun for aluminum, som suggest a miller 200 tig setup, speed is not important to me, good looking welds on both aluminum and steel up to a max of 3/8" is and I would like to be able to work on the small parts also on occasion, YOUR ADVISE GENTELMAN WOULD BE HELPFUL
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 06-09-2004 23:52
I have the millermatic 210 w/spoolgun the little brother to the mm251 they are mig machines, It is a great piece of equipment. The limitations on Aluminum max 3/8 and 14 ga min thickness, and this is a real tough in thin sheet- lots of practice required. For the best looking welds on thin sheetmetal in Aluminum Tig would be the choice and the Miller Dynasty 200DX would be it but it maxes at 1/4" in single pass but in multi pass it can be done, there again much practice is required. Tig is a much more difficult process to master but when you do you wont want to go back to the old way. If you get the Dynasty get the DX don't skimp the added features will be useful after you learn the basics of the process in Aluminum. These are just facts, now the preferances.

I have very good luck in mig down to 22ga in steel and 14ga in aluminum.
The thicker material is where mine has its limits 3/8" steel and 1/4" aluminum. I have done 1/2" aluminum in multi pass and 3/4" steel multipass but duty cycle is the limiting factor.

I think the mig is the most user friendly but for the accomplished welder the dynasty is the tool of choice.

I hope this helps,
Parent - - By 340mag Date 06-10-2004 01:06
pjseaman
THANK YOU!

can anyone else add to that??
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 06-10-2004 02:11
Your welcome
pjseaman
Parent - - By 340mag Date 06-10-2004 02:52
http://www.htpweld.com/product_page/tig_welder/tig201.html

I was EMAILED this as a suggestion?? any input gentelmen??
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 06-11-2004 05:36
I don't hide that I prefer miller and my second choice would be Lincoln third would be esab. Miller has the best warranty and the best after purchase support. Since your obviously computer aware try looking at the www.millerwelds.com site and under motorsports is a forum called ask andy, great bunch of guys with very diverse knowledge and experience always willing to give a word discriptive assistance.

I currently own a Millermatic 210 and have used several other millers and my next will be miller, probably Dynasty200DX. That will be a while down the road. Its your money reasearch it thouroughly before you buy, I think HTP is a decision you might regret later.

Be cautious, be safe,
pjseaman
Parent - - By 340mag Date 06-11-2004 20:00
pjseaman
THANKS again Ill keep that advice in mind!
Parent - By cutter220 (*) Date 06-11-2004 22:01
Mig is best for rodding amateurs.Unless you really got some experience.Just try welding exhaust all day with tig
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / will TIG BE MUCH BETTER