Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oh.oh 1 inch cvt tee seat drilled out
- - By james1 (*) Date 06-17-2004 01:00
1 inch cvt ..had the pleasure of trying to raise a 1 inch high pressure riser today only to find the seat had beem drilled out when tapped ... now we have to abandon ..any one know of any tapered bars for the dh5 (mueller) that could go in and stop off so i could abandon out let. would then have to reinsert stem turn down 7 turns and install abandonment cap or fully incapsulate 275 lb line natural gas ...any ideas thanks Jim
Parent - - By pgeweldor (*) Date 06-19-2004 12:31
Hi Jim, Did you try contacting mueller company. From what I read it is a one inch mueller service valve tee, with a3/4 socket weld outlet? On our high pressure lines the taps are made with either(mostly) 1/4 inch drill bit or a1/2 inchbit on high pressure. I think the biggest bit that can be used before they drill out the seat is5/8. I know mueller makes line stoppers for 3/4 inch pipe. Would you be able to weld a stopper on the3/4 line then cap it with a sch 80 sleeve and plug then weld a capsule around the fitting. I know room is an issue depending on the size of the main and the size of the saddle you are able to make. Our higher pressures range from 150 to around 400 lbs. I did quite a bit of one inch muellers with threads on the branch where the contractors drilled out the seats with 3/4 bits. That was one of their upgrade projects. I had alot of gas blowing that was on our intermediate pressure system 60 lbs. We screwed the stopper down as far as it would go without going through the main then flew a sleeve and plug on the branch. I welded a capsule around the tap out of 4 inch pipe. I understand your line is probably like ours where it really can't be put out of service. Only other thing which is a big and costly project would be by-pass line stoppers. Hope this helps. Paul.
Parent - - By james1 (*) Date 06-19-2004 15:57
Paul.. thanks for replying ..yes this fitting can be used as a 3/4 inch socket weld or a 1 inch butt weld.. had sometime today to start checking things out . room is a real problem cant get a 4 inch pipe over cvt if capped outlet with 1 inch cap..would have to weld in a plug in outlet ..have to check to see if 4 inch cap would fit over reinforcement saddle on main or if not could i weld onto saddle ?..still lots of ????s i think calling mueller is a good idea and see what they say..and all of this would have to be approved by our engineer as we dont have a procedure that i'm aware of ..i'll keep keep you informed but as you say could end up going the stopper route thanks Jim
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 06-19-2004 22:08
Hey James, try Mueller tool part number 36197- steel shut off tool. It is for use with the DH-5, stopping off a 3/4" hole.
Do you have access to an EH-1 or EH-5 machine?
What size is the main?
Should you get as far as stopping off with a "steel shut off tool" don't expect a complete shut off. Since there is no seat when using this tool a complete shut off is almost impossible. Although it should get it down to a workable manner. And if the tee was put on during construction and the tap was done on a dead main with a torch the shut off tool won't work because of the uneven hole.
Do a mock up of what your trying to do. If the threads get buggered up on the inside of the tee you won't be able to get the completion plug back in and then there will be a tapping machine on the main that you will not be able to take off. I would not want to explain that to the boss or the Public Service Commission. Hope this helps- Ted

PS beware of Mueller's part numbers listed in their catalogs. They have a history of inaccuracy. This isn't a slam, I learned the hard way! Oh, and what we are talking about isn't in a procedure (3/4" stop on a 1" tee) so make sure you get the suit and ties to approve anything before hand like you said.
Parent - - By james1 (*) Date 06-21-2004 23:57
Paul and Ted thanks for the reply's... have mentioned your ideas and my own.. no answers as of yet, it's going to be interesting...someone phoned i believe St. Louis they mentioned the steel shutoff tool..or going the 1 inch line stopper for outlet ..sounds like your both on the right track.. have wondered if stem could be built up and rebeveled ..Ted have no acess to eh-1 or eh-5 only machines we have rated for this line pressure d-4 / d-5 or dh-5 ..thanks for your insights will keep you posted thanks Jim...ps any bets on tap size.. i say 3/4 inch
Parent - By pgeweldor (*) Date 06-22-2004 10:51
Hi Jim, I was wondering if maybe gas control or gas regulation could throttle the pressure down enough to where you can work on it. I just did some work on our 400lb. 12 inch line yesterday, and we ended up with a bunch of pits in the bottom of the main. we couldnt put a tapered steel pin in the main, because the walls of the main were folding in so we put a piece of broom handle in it and put a band clamp around it after sawing it off flush, then I welded a split sleeve over the band clamp. They lowered the pressure down to 58 lbs. Just an idea. Good Luck. Paul
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 06-22-2004 21:09
3/4 or 7 apes:) If you do the mock up complete with tapping out the tee with a 3/4 you'll know exactly what you could be up against. Try one with a 7/8 as well. Doing those mock ups are dirt cheap compared to someone getting hurt or having to install line stopper and by-pass. You'll know if the shut off tool will work or not before you start.

What size main is it? If it's six inch or less the cost of stoppers wouldn't be that great and if it's a two way feed that would be the way to go and take less time then farting around with all the mock ups. Ted
Parent - By james1 (*) Date 06-23-2004 23:52
Ted it's 4 inch..Paul we had lowered the pressure to 130 lbs when we first found the problem... learned that awhile back when we had a 2 inch cvt crack out on the weld on the main of a high pressure line...Paul broom handle?...cut off in main? 400 lb 12 inch line? what will the smart pig say about that.. sounds like replacement time .... looks like you have fought a few fires in your time ..haven't heard how they will attack the i inch Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oh.oh 1 inch cvt tee seat drilled out