Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Flux-cored SS Tig rods
- - By Daon (*) Date 06-23-2004 20:03
One one know who's selling flux-cored Stainless Steel TIG rods?
Any one have experience with these rods?
I had 2 samples from the 2001 Essen, and just now I got around to testing them and they're fabulous.
I can't find them on the web other than Kobelco from Japan.
Thanks,
Daon
Parent - - By andy (**) Date 06-24-2004 07:51
Metrode in the uk,

http://www.metrode.com

do a 316L flux cored tig wire SUPEROOT (AWS A5.22 R316LT1-5)

they may have a distributor in the US.

I haven't any practical experience othere than some trials we carried out some years ago and the two main issues were the technique required, which is different to most TIG rooting - relying on a keyhole technique. This usually requires some retrainig of welders to become familiar with the technique.

The other issue is the slag residue in the bore of the pipe - we never really got to grips with the chemistry of this slag and whether residues could increase the risk of stress corrosion cracking. We never really pursued it any further.

Possibly Metrode might be able to give you some background on any work they may have done.

Hope this is useful.

Andy
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 06-24-2004 11:27
The US Metrode distributor is Euroweld.

www.euroweld.com
Parent - - By Daon (*) Date 06-24-2004 15:17
Thanks guys, I found their web site and product information sheet.
I'm a little concerned that they only make 316L. They claim they have no corrosion problems when using it as a root pass for 321 SS, but I don't know if the oil refineries will agree.
I'm in the Middle east so I don't need an American distributor.
Thanks again,
C. Daon
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 06-24-2004 17:01
just to note that Esab also carries a flux coated tig rod for root passes on pipe. I tried it once with no real success, but I am sure that was because of my technique. I didn't like the way the puddle moved and the smoke kind of inhibited the view, but apparently it does work, so I am going to have to take their word for it.....
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-24-2004 21:00
I recently used this for some SS Boiler tubes and it worked great. The flux supports the root nicely on those occasions where the gap isn't what the WPS says:).
Parent - - By Gerry Date 06-29-2004 15:48
We used the superroot with greate results when it is not possible to purge. When qualify the welders do root bend tests
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 07-01-2004 03:48
Hi All!

The use of self-shielding wire for TIG welding of Stainless Steel is not new to us in the UK! ?You have to watch out for 'concavities' in the root profiles! This is down to to Welder technique! Any one who has used this method will know what I'm talking about!

This 'method' will not be acceptable to many standards!

Regards

Parent - - By Daon (*) Date 07-02-2004 03:19
Hi rodofgod,
When you say standards, are you referering to any codes, or to specific company internal specifications?
Nowadays it seems that if you can perform a proper PQR, there shouldn't be much of a problem getting getting it approved.
Daon
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 07-02-2004 21:55

Hi Daon!

What I meant was the many 'Clients',at least over here in the uk, don't want to "take a risk" on unknown processes. Nearly all Refinaries over here will not allow the use of Solar-flux for S/S welding of pipes, however this is the 'norm' on power generation stations! This is despite having qualified welding procedures etc. The same applies with Flux-cored GTAW welding wire!

Regards

Parent - - By andy (**) Date 07-05-2004 07:55
Rodofgod.

Can't speak for the refineries, but the PQR's are one thing - demonstrating mechanical properties and the residues lefts from Solar Flux and flux cored TIg are separate. The main concern with these two are the residues that are left after welding.

Sometime in the 70's on a power station, welding slag left from a stainless rod led to stress corrosion cracking ( I seem to recall). Given that the residues that are left after using solar flux and Flux cored TIG, there is a concern about stress corrosion cracking occuring again.

There is certainly no consistency acroos sites that is for sure and any feedback on analysis of flux core slags would be welcome.
Parent - By rodofgod (**) Date 07-06-2004 00:35

Hi Andy!

Thanks for the 'background' info, often wondered why many 'Clients' would not accept Solar flux or Flux-cored TIG Wire! Suppose, given the history, it's up to the mgf to 'prove' their case?!?

Regards

Parent - By chico Date 07-18-2004 05:52
exactly what was your technic when using the flux wire?I recentlly did a procedure test on ss pipe for it and i found it really tricky with the gap ,the key holing. Pulled it off though,but i would apreciate some tips to make it easier.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Flux-cored SS Tig rods