Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 14.1 cert
- - By Brainfarth (*) Date 06-26-2004 04:32
The company I am currently working for want's me to get certified for welding cranes. No one knows what the tests involve other than they fall under 14.1. Could someone tell me some more information about this cert? I would like to practice in the shop beforehand.
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 06-26-2004 10:40
I aquired this cert in 1998, as I recall it was the same as D1.1. It was a 1" A-36 beveled plate with backing. Welded all the way out with .125" E7018.

Mike Sherman
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-28-2004 11:08
Are they doing the qualifying/certification or are they sending you to an outside testing lab?
I just received my copy of D14.1 and haven't had time but to skim over it. It does "appear" to be similar to D1.1, but I haven't read into it enough to be certain. We are getting geared up to take down some older bridge cranes and build some new ones to hang back up. So, I got a copy to see what all is involved in qualifying/certifying. That is why I was asking about who was doing your testing(inside or outside).
John Wright
Parent - By Brainfarth (*) Date 07-05-2004 03:37
The test wouldn't be inhouse.
But today, I was at a steel mill when I found out that they are testing their millwrights inhouse on 4" pipe 3/8" thick at 45 degrees. They said that will not only certify them in pipe but for 14.1 also. I don't see the relation of the two. Does the 6G qualify a person for anything other than pipe?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 14.1 cert