Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thin Aluminum MIG Pulser
- - By jbfabrication Date 06-26-2004 18:17
I have a Millermatic 251 and love it. My question is, How thin of aluminum can I weld combining the Miller Push-Pull Module for the Miller 251 MIG and the Miller MIG Pulsing device? I am really sold on using just the MIG for fabrication, but I wonder about a few things.
1) Tensile strength of aluminum MIG wire for high stress fabrication
for example- 1/4" aluminum boat hulls
I have heard that MIG is not as strong as TIG, but some wires are??

2) I can only weld aluminum so thin with MIG, which is a given, but how much thinner can I weld with the pulser vs. TIG?? Is the pulser worth the $$??

3) I am not the world's most seasoned veteran in welding, however I can hold my own, TIG included. Just like the self-containment of the MIG process.

Point me in the right direction fellars.

Junior
Parent - - By brande (***) Date 06-27-2004 03:34
I'll go out on a limb here...

As far as I can see, process has little to do with weld strength. Period.
It's either welded, or it is not.

Aluminum can present it's own set of problems. The biggest consideration is alloy compatability.

Boats are usually fabricated with 5000 series alloys, including 5083, 5086, 5554, etc. Welding with a 5000 series alloy would be a good choice here.

Silicon based alloys such as 4043 and 4047 can cause some metallurgical problems on 5000 series material.

While a standard mig gun without pulse should be able to handle .062 and greater thicknesses with proper techniques. Mig is much better for materials greater than 1/8. Below that, tig has a definite edge.

A pulser is a neat thing to have. It can allow us to go on thinner material with a thicker wire or very thin material with thin wire.
It can also help controlling distortion.

A pulser can get you lower than standard mig, but it will not replace tig in extreme situations.

Good luck

brande
Parent - - By jbfabrication Date 06-27-2004 20:29
Brande,
Thanks man, Just what I had before thought. I will never be welding pop cans together, so the MIG process and Pulser will do everything I intend to do. I don't think I'll deal with anything thinner than 1/8". Thanks for the input, Helps a great deal!!

Junior
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 06-27-2004 21:45
I don't think the 251 is an inverter so you may not be able to pulse from it. Ted
Parent - - By jbfabrication Date 06-28-2004 20:05
I need to check that out. Thanks for the heads up!!
Parent - By Brand X (*) Date 07-04-2004 07:11
You could pulse with that machine if you had one of these.Just not as many PPS. They show up on ebay every now and again. They were $2000.00 new and Mk blew them out for $995.00
I would trade the 251 for the new Miller 350P if I was doing anything close to .062. It a very easy machine to use compared to the 300 powermig.I do agree if you want the best weld just tig it and forget the fancy mig units. I had the Granddad of pulsers the Mk 2000a and a python Lincoln 300.I also saw the Miller in action and it does look like the best of the bunch for repeatablity of your mig aluminum bead.

http://www.mkprod.com/Images/Pulse_.JPG
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Thin Aluminum MIG Pulser