Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Finding apprenticeship
- - By framewelder Date 06-28-2004 17:46
I'm having trouble finding placement for myself at a welding shop to start my apprenticeship. Can anyone recommend a better technique on how to get an apprenticeship.

Thanks
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 06-28-2004 18:24
You have a very unique homepage. Are you for real?
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 06-28-2004 20:47
Better technique than what?

Apprenticeships are far and few between now days in any Craft.

Most employers want 20 year old applicants with 20+ years experience.
Parent - - By framewelder Date 06-29-2004 05:17
My technique was to call a welding place and ask if they wanted an apprentice. I thought apprentices were plentiful in Canada.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-29-2004 11:47
Try calling several of the labour unions; boilermakers, pipefitters, ironworkers, etc. Often they offer apprenticeships because ultimately it will add to their membership.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 06-29-2004 13:16
Do you think you muster a little more effort than that? Most employers like "Self Starters" you know folks who are motivated.

Can not speak for Canada but around here you will have to get eye to eye with some one and convince them you will make a good apprentice.

An employer has to make a sizable investment in an apprentice & they like feel they are getting there moneys worth.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Finding apprenticeship