Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6gr test
- - By rmoran Date 06-30-2004 01:52
anyone ever taken this test?
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-30-2004 03:08
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/miscPages.htm
This is the page of pipewelder_1999 (Gerald Austin) who often posts here. Scroll down near the bottom where you will find a link to a drawing that explains what you are asking.
Bill
Parent - - By - Date 07-05-2004 23:57
I've never met Mr. Austin, but I've developed a good deal of respect for him and for his opinions based on what I've read in the past in this forum. However, I must point out that there is an error in the link to his site that you have provided, specifically where it states "restriction ring adds difficulty similar to that which would be encountered welding a butt joint on a T, K, or Y connection".
By definition any TKY connection is a sort of T-joint and is not a butt joint. The reason that the D1.1 6GR test looks the way it does is for economic reasons - it would be prohibitively expensive to make a TKY mockup for every welder who needs to test. The restriction ring helps to approximate the access problems common to actual TKYs.
Best regards,
Mankenberg
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 07-06-2004 00:39
Hi All!

Just a quick query! Is a 6GR an ASME or an AWS coding?

Regards

Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-06-2004 02:32
AWS uses the 6GR.
ASME is pretty liberal in my opinion .

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-06-2004 02:31
Good catch. You are correct. I should have listed that as a "groove joint" . I need to correct that.

Thanks

Gerald Austin
Parent - By rmoran Date 07-11-2004 04:32
Took the 6gr test wasn't much to it. The ring really doesn't get in the way. With only one bevel was able to run with more heat. The test lab even preped the straps
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 6gr test