Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tech help- fan in-op Lincoln mig 255
- - By bercoman Date 06-30-2004 02:58
My cooling fan(s) are not working... could use some advice trouble shooting this problem. It's a lincoln wirematic 255 about a 1996-97 version. Thanks , Marty.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-30-2004 03:33
First determine if the fan is "stuck"- attempt to turn it. Fans usually have shaded pole motors which have very weak starting torque, thus any significant drag will prevent the motor from starting. The electrical circuit should be simple. Straight to the line with a thermostatic switch for fan on demand type units and possibly a fuse. Three phase units may have three phase fan motors. Hope this is helpful.
Bill

I looked at lincoln's site and now see that your machine is single phase but depending on model available in a wide range of voltage settings. There may be a transformer to provide power to the fans since that provides an easy way to adjust to various input voltages. If you have the 208/230 volt model the fans may have 110 volt motors and be wired from one of the hot leads to the neutral.

More data will evoke a more precise answer.
Bill
Parent - - By bercoman Date 06-30-2004 03:40
Thanks for responding... fans aren't stuck. The wiring diagram shows a thermostat in line on one side and on the other a resistor or ballast. Owners manual states fan should start when arc is created and run for at least 6 mins.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-30-2004 06:12
I'm a little confused, the diagram implys thermostat control, the text implys timer control. Still with the wiring diagram you should be able to follow the circuit with a voltmeter and find the fault. Be suspicous of any switch, the fan motor itself, all wiring connections.

Be really careful, 220 volts can hurt you. My father taught me keep one hand in your pocket, then you avoid those hand to hand shocks which have your heart in the middle.
Bill
Parent - - By bercoman Date 07-01-2004 04:03
My machine is a 220/440/575 volt single phase style, set up to run on 220 volt. Another clue: I recently bought this machine and it was set up for 440 volt and I switched buss bar for 220. Did I miss something? It has 2 fans. Also the owners manual wiring diagram and the one on the machine are somewhat different. Thanks for the input!
Parent - - By james264 Date 07-01-2004 15:34
Try E-mailing Lincoln or going to there web site to get the correct manual online . I had an old buzz box that died on me and I got the wiring diagram online and also talked to there tech dept. after leaving them a message they call you back.They have been very helpful . Good luck Jim
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-01-2004 16:00
I second Jim's suggestion, look up your manual online at http://lincolnelectric.com
They have been a help to me in the past also and returned emails promply.
John Wright
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-02-2004 05:03
Me too. This has gotten beyond generic guesswork and needs someone with knowledge of this specific machine.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tech help- fan in-op Lincoln mig 255