Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / anodized aluminum welding
- - By james264 Date 06-30-2004 15:18
Hi Guys And Gals : Ill try the techies page for this one . I am trying to weld 6061 bright dipped anodized pipe.The same pipe I am told that the marine tower fabricators use .If I prep the pipe I will scratch the finish off at the round mounting plates. I tried to weld a sample with the weld being gray and the anodized floating to the top.I am being told by many pipe manufactures that you weld over top the anodized coating without removal .With many trials I still have a bad looking weld .I got a post back from sw norris in which I also agree that the coating has to be removed first.Every piece of aluminum I have ever welded has been prep till it is like a mirror. Any marine tower heads out there??? No I am not going into the marine tower business I am making a new railing for a business .I am tig welding this not spool welding with a mig . Thanks JIM !!
Parent - By LarryL (**) Date 06-30-2004 18:12
James, ALL of the anodizing must be removed before you will obtain a good tig weld. Aluminum oxide is the whitish substance that forms naturally on the surface of aluminum when it slowly reacts with oxygen in the air. Since alum. oxide has a much higher melting point than pure aluminum (or its alloys), it is difficult to tig weld through a layer of the oxide. This naturally occuring oxide must be cleaned off. Anodizing, on the other hand, is an man-made process by which a protective layer of aluminum oxide is deposited on the surface of aluminum. Chemically it is identical to that formed by the interaction of air with aluminum. The alum. oxide laid down by anodizing, however, is a much tougher and thicker deposit (~1.5 to 2 mils). Unlike the naturally formed alum. oxide, anodized coatings are harder to remove from the surface of an aluminum part. Perhaps the best way to remove it is to power sand or grind it off (carefully so as not to remove too much thickness), wire brush with a stainless steel brush - since the abrasive substance in most grinding disks and belts also is alum. oxide - and clean with alcohol. Even after all this work you may still not be able to lay down beads as nice looking as if you were welding on unanodized aluminum. My reasoning for this is that creating a 2 mil layer of anodizing, for example, requires the chemical conversion of the upper 1 mil layer of the aluminum surface of the part. Then, an additional 1 mil layer is deposited on top of that. Because anodizing involves chemical conversion of the surface layer of the part itself, perhaps some of the alum. oxide may be deeper than 2 mil. below the surface of the part. I'm not an anodizer but have had many of my own parts anodized. Others here with more welding experience may shed more light on this subject.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-30-2004 18:32
Jim,
Larry and Scott have laid down the facts. No two ways around it, gotta get it clean. It's just the nature of the beast. Sorry, can't keep the anodizing and still produce the weld you need.
John Wright
Parent - By james264 Date 06-30-2004 23:51
thanks guys I just wasn't sure how these pipe manufactures customers tower fabricators etc. are welding without the removal done first it seems to me you just aren't going to get a good quality weld . Thanks again Jim !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / anodized aluminum welding