Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Special GTAW welding Rod!
- - By TolgaKantaroglu (*) Date 07-07-2004 15:09
Hi There,
What I have just heard that there is a special welding rod for GTAW that is 2.4mm in diameter and 1 meter in length, it has hollow section, both ends are closed and inside is filled by Ar gas. It is said that this rod is used for pipewelding root protection where barrier paper apllication is not possible. Would you please inform me whether there is such a welding rod and if there is, then how is the efficiency of this application?

Thanks a lot.
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 07-07-2004 21:47
Hi All!

April 1st was 3+ months ago,Friend!

Seriously, 1 meter in length? Who is going to be able to 'Root' a pipe with a Rod that long? lol :)

Any other thoughts?

Regards

Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-07-2004 23:10
The cut length of GTAW filler wire is 36" (3 feet). I meter is pretty darn close to that.

Never heard of the Argon filled wire but then up untill lately i had never heard of Flux filled TIG wire.

Sounds like an idea worth trying although I bet its expensive.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-08-2004 04:43
I bet the flux filled wire is what he heard of, descriptions of things tend to change as they get passed from person to person. Its hard to believe that significant argon could be contained in the tube to make a difference. If there is a reason to feed argon thru the wire (tube) it would be easy to hook up a regulator and a flowmeter to a tube that was open at both ends.
Bill
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-08-2004 13:11
Hi Bill,
I'll have to agree, argon in the wire would simply be released once you started using it and I couldn't see how that little amount would effectively shield anything. Had to be fluxcore that they were talking about if it was a hollow(tubular) filler.
John Wright
Parent - - By TolgaKantaroglu (*) Date 07-08-2004 06:34
Well I totally agree with you. Thats what sounds strange and impracticle for me. For this reason I asked whether there is such a thing or not. However flux cored TIG wire sounds logical. On the other hand I just made comment on the length 1 meter since normal TIG wires are supplied as 1 meter length.

Best Regards,
Parent - By rodofgod (**) Date 07-08-2004 23:27
Hi All!
just re-read MY post and realized I was referring to something else altogether! Self-shielding TIG wire for non-purged S/s etc is available and does work quite well. It acts quite like flux-cored MIG wire, in that it releases a flux that forms 'over' the molten metal and protects it from oxidation etc. It does work and I've used it myself to pass WPQ's, However, it requires a slightly different technique to normal TIG welding and the results are not up to the usual quality of conventional TIG welded root deposits.

Sorry for My earlier misunderstanding!

Regards

Parent - - By weldguy Date 07-09-2004 02:50
Kobelco is one company who manufactures this flux cored TIG filler for root pass welding on stainless pipe. It's a great solution for eliminating back purging, but only if the thin slag on the root side is acceptable in the system.
Parent - By amvlda (*) Date 07-09-2004 09:48
Dear Sirs:
Kobelco is not the only manufacturer of this kind of rods as i readed several times in other posts in this forums.
Just to mention.
Best Regards:
Nuno Borges
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Special GTAW welding Rod!