Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Lab Qualification
- - By JohnC Date 07-07-2004 20:24
Hello, I have just recently been assigned the task of putting together a weld manual for my company. As I have no prior welding experience, I have been on quite a crash course. One of the sections of the manual will provide information on weld labs that we have qualified. My question is what type of qualifications would you recommend I require of the weld laboratory's staff and equipment. We purely work under the codes pertaining to pressure vessels.

Thank you in advance,
John
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-07-2004 22:03
Hi John,

Sounds like someone is asking an awful lot of you, especially with your level of experience. I'm not in the pressure vessel field, but I would think that among other things, a lab would need qualified personnel and equipment for such testing as Radiographic Examinations (RT), which are performed to detect and evaluate internal defects and structural variations, including cracks, lack of fusion, incomplete penetration, porosity and inclusions. These tests are performed with Iridium 192, Cobalt isotopes, or low voltage x-ray, and a dark room is also needed for the development of radiographs. Ultrasonic Examinations (UT), which are performed for the detection and sizing of internal defects, flaws or discontinuities in piping, castings, forgings, weldments or other components. Magnetic Particle Examinations (MT), which are dry magnetic particle examinations and wet fluorescent magnetic particle examinations for ferromagnetic materials to detect surface and slight subsurface discontinuities. Liquid Penetrant Examinations (PT) which are various types of liquid penetrant examination methods utilized to detect open or surface cracks or defects in materials. Red dye or fluorescent penetrants are also used as various types of wet and dry developers. Borescope Examination for internal examinations and evaluations of piping and other components, with videotaping and photography capacities for borescope indications. Leak Testing to detect and locate leaks in pressure containment parts and structures. Each welding code follows three main categories of Welding Qualification: Welding Procedure Specification (WPS), Welding Procedure Qualification Record (WPQR), and Welder Performance Qualification (WPQ), so at least one Certified Weld Inspector (CWI) who can pinpoint exactly what testing is necessary to qualify a weld, weld procedure, or individual welders. Good luck with your manual.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 07-08-2004 00:38
I don't know what is required to get it, but a lot of labs have an A2LA certification. If you find out what is required to get A2LA certified, it could steer you in the direction of what is required for certifying labs, or it may be satisfactory for your purposes to use a lab that already has a certification.

http://www.a2la.org/general/structure.cfm
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-08-2004 02:50
It sounds like you are putting together a quality control manual for the fabrication of pressure vessels (ASME VIII, Div. 1)? If so, your Authorized Inspection Agency most likely has a canned manual that will work as a draft to help you develop a manual to match your capabilities and product line.

As far as laboratories, most have a variety of accreditations. The shop manuals I have reviewed that reference specific laboratories simply include a list of their accreditations (just like you would do for any outsourced services). As an example, here is a link to Sherry Labs. I'm sure that there are many others out there for you to review.

http://www.sherrylabs.com/products/accreditations.htm

Adder: If you are refering to NDT contractors, you need a copy of their written practice which should be in accordance with ASNT-TC-1A and copies of their employee certifications and vision examinations. Following a review of their written practice, an acceptance letter (from your firm) is included in their manual.
Parent - By JohnC Date 07-08-2004 20:14
Thank you for your responses.

John
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Lab Qualification