Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Gouging for open beveling
- - By hannaro (*) Date 07-08-2004 10:03
1.Incase of beveling was not enough groove angle for fullpenetration weld of structure steel , Can we use carbon gouging to open more angle bevel ?
2.How many time for repairing of weld defect, that will be effect to HAZ.( this is consider for structure steel cs Thickness 20 mm. defect dept 10mm.)
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-08-2004 13:48
Hi hannaro,

If you're welding to D1.1, in Section 5 Fabrication, 5.15.2 states that machining, thermal cutting, gouging, chipping, or grinding may be used for joint preparation, or the removal of unacceptacle work or metal, except that oxygen gouging shall not be used on steels that are ordered as quenched and tempered or normalized, because of the high heat input of the process.
Any altering of the HAZ during rewelding would probably depend on the base metal, the welding process, the welding procedure, and the extent of the repair, which you indicated was a little over 3/8" deep in a base material which is a little more than 3/4" thick, if my conversions are correct. I can tell you that as far as gouging goes, from a metallurgical standpoint, the chemical changes which occur with carbon arc gouging may produce a thin hardened zone in some metals, but subsequent welding remelts this zone and reduces the hardness.
Parent - By weldeng13 (*) Date 07-08-2004 22:17
For repairs aspect of the question for D1.1 I would look to 5.26, which repeats many of the same things as 5.12.2 and it expands on what is needed/required for repairs, mainly cracks. You may need the Engineer's approval before performing the repair.(5.26.3) If you are welding to D1.5 then it is section 3.7 which is very similar to 5.26, unless it is FCM.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Gouging for open beveling