Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hi and another post on helments.
- - By SteelDet (*) Date 07-10-2004 15:21
The only book I have on welding (Richard Finch-Welder's Handbook) says that if you do a lot of welding not to use auto helments, because after striking 50 arcs in a day your eyes will be burned. Is this true? I just bought one and haven't used it that much, but so far I love it.
BTW, I have other books ordered, just haven't got here yet and although I have welded off and on for the past 20 years I am going to go to school starting next month, because I have never had any formal instruction and want to move from steel detailer to welder, I am really tired of sitting in front of a computer all day and then just playing with my welder at night :)
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 07-10-2004 23:13
The activation rate on my hood ia 1/20,000 fo a second. I don't think you will get burnt, or atleast it will take more than 50 arc strikes before you do. Also the light state on my hood is enough to protect from the arc I think it is shade 3 or shade 5. I think many writers will bear on the side of cautious with regard to equipment they do not totally understand. I would rather see someone who does tacks all day long using an auto as to not using one at all which will happen if they can't use an auto, all the head nodding all day will give you a real pain in the NECK!!!

Peace,
pjseaman
Parent - By rmoran Date 07-11-2004 04:38
All I use is an auto lens now. Would love to shake the hand of the person that made the first one. I weld 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week with mig tig flux-core and stick and have no problems. Biggest problem was when I had a helper drop my hood and had to weld with an "old-style" lens until I could get a replacement.
Parent - - By SteelDet (*) Date 07-11-2004 17:17
Thanks, I figured they were ok, you see them everywhere and if people were getting burned there wouldn't be so many of them out there and people would be talking about it more.
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 07-12-2004 02:26
While this is basically true I recomend a premium over the cheap models. I own a speedglas 9000x and a miller XLix both are great also Uvex makes Optrel satalite which is good and Miller has a new model called the Big Window Elite which a friend gives great reviews on.

A good middle of the road hood will do for students around $200 but the best models are around $300.

Their your eyes and you get only one set, take care of them.

Peace,
pjseaman
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-12-2004 11:54
Another thought, if I read your post correctly...The books that were written some time ago were from an era where the auto lens had not been perfected to a point where they are today. Those older auto shades may not have reacted quick enough and therefore the author may have had opinions about them. However, I personally will not be trading my new technology in for a ole' fixed shade helment any time soon. Where I found mine so helpful as others have mentioned, is when you have lots of tacking or short intermittent welds. The time and neck savings are well worth the extra $'s to purchase a "good quality/brand" auto shade. I still have my reservations for the cheaper one's out there on the market. You'll find lots of opinions on who like what brand here on the forum, but I think most will agree to stick with a good brand.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-12-2004 12:02
I hear ya, I came from a structural detailing background too and love what I do now. I do think our background helps, when the shop guys have questions with the drawings and you can shed some light on the interpetation. 7 years of my 20 with this company was in the engineering department. Come on over to the welding side, I bet you won't be disappointed. With your detailing background it will help you if you decide to persue the CWI cert. Also the math background helps work those 70*, 60*, and 45* triangles, if you do any Ultrasonic Inspection (UT).
John Wright
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-12-2004 18:28
Hi all,

I have a Speedglas 9000X and it works great. No complaints except battery costs. Here's a link to a pretty good question and answer page from Lincoln about auto darkening helmets for anyone who is considering a purchase:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/jan2002/collision.cfm
Parent - - By rodofgod (**) Date 07-12-2004 23:17
Hi All!

According to theory,the 'protective', clear len's should prevent any harmful UV waves! This means, according to theory, that you could Weld all day with no 'Shading', and still not 'burn' your eyes!

Regards
Parent - - By T0M (*) Date 07-13-2004 03:01
Maybe I am not comprehending this properly but UV rays or not, If the light you are seeing is blinding ly bright then isnt that damaging your eyes?

fwiw
I have an entry level hobart automatic hood and I get flashed all the time especially on cast aluminum. It gets so annoying I just want to throw it. I hope some of the better helmets are more effective at switching quickly and properly.

Parent - By SteelDet (*) Date 07-13-2004 05:07
The one I have at the moment is a relatively cheap ($50) one, but claims 1/20,000 sec. reaction time, or darkening time. I just did a lot of welding with it for the first time today....I'll let you know tomorrow if my one good eye hurts. I haven’t done any alum welding though.....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hi and another post on helments.