Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / four piece 90 degree elbow
- - By mark j guzma Date 07-13-2004 14:51
I need to layout a four piece 90 degree elbow , 26 inches in diameter by one quarter inch thick mild steel. what would be the best way to make accurate template. Or con you buy templates , would a contour marking tool work .?
Parent - By LarryL (**) Date 07-14-2004 14:34
A good sheet metal shop might be able to make some templates for you - although many sheet metal shops may not be used to working with sheet as thick as 1/4". A CAD design consultant with expertise in a program such as SolidWorks will be able to produce cutting templates for you. SolidWorks has a versatile sheet metal design component.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-14-2004 23:10
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/pipetemplatesample.htm has an example of how a mitre could be laid out on a pipe. The same concept would go for the gores of a fabricated plate elbow.

Instead of making a template you could transfer the individual line lengths to the pipe after dividing it into sections.

Hope this helps a little

GA
Parent - - By LarryL (**) Date 07-15-2004 03:36
This method is the old, original one for creating layout patterns. I was taught it years ago in an engineering drafting course. It requires very accurate dimensioning from datum planes. Extrapolation from the small scale drawing on a drafting board to a large diameter pipe size, therefore, may result in significant dimensional errors. Also, with the everyday use of computers in drafting, it may be difficult to find a draftsman or engineer who is familiar with this manual method. Nowadays, an appropriate CAD program can turn out extremely accurate cutting templates in a fraction of the time required by this manual method.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-15-2004 10:08
I agree that certain technology would help. The availability of equipment to do this is a variable. The sketch on the website was made with a $45.00 cad program however a plotter to make a full size template would be a significate investment. As would a CNC burning machine.

The ordinate lines for the pattern can also be calculated I'm sure but I don't know how.

A soapstone, string, and tape measure may not be as precise or as easy but they are available.

A 3rd party detailing company would be a way to go provided thay are not too proud of their technology.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin

Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 07-15-2004 19:11
On templates too big for a regular printer, we often just print out the different parts with reference marks and cut/tape them together. I has worked very well for us.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-15-2004 20:27
Ours are printed on 30 x 42 paper and if it is still too big, we cut and tape as GRoberts said they do. Oh, ours were created in XSteel by our sub-let detailer.
John Wright
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-15-2004 13:12
Just another suggestion--
Unless you really want to layout and cut the pieces yourself, you might try to purchase the pieces pre-shaped so all you have to do is roll and weld.

Many suppliers use burn table programs that cut any shape you want. We use SDS software with our plasma table, which allows us to enter the dimensions, number of gores, weld joint requirements, and etc. Then plates are loaded on the table and burned to size. No hand layout necessary, we even make small notches that accurately mark our quadrants for us.
I'm sure there must be some fabricators or suppliers near you that could give you a price, and you might find the true cost is not that bad.

Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / four piece 90 degree elbow