Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Resurfacing Rail Wheels
- - By roopchandel (*) Date 07-16-2004 10:45
I am concerned about the need for preheating while rebuilding the worn out flanges on rail wheels. The Carbon Equivalent is = 0.65 and the steel wheel weighs about 900kg. The process being used is two wire SAW with EL12 Electrode.

The recommendation is for NO PREHEAT, however my calculations indicate a minimum preheat of 200C.

Any Comments

Roop Chandel
Parent - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 07-16-2004 13:30

I had a similar problem a few months ago, when rebuilding guiding wheels for lock gate doors in a port ; the wheels were worn on the flanges and the rolling surface ; it was a solid, cast carbon steel wheel, diameter about 1 meter, total weight 1.5 ton ; a martensitic hardsurfacing layer on top was requested, but the intermediate layers were welded with an ordinary EL12 wire ; we did both with and without preheating

We found in both cases cold cracks, especially at the flange side ;
the best result (with an occasionally crack) was obtained by preheating up to 250°C, maintaining the temperature with fixed oxygen/propane burners ; directly after welding you should wrap the wheel in a blanket to allow very slow cooling (48 hours) ; unwrapping can be done when the temperature of the surface is below 70°C ; you should use a high basic flux in order to minimise the risk of hydrogen cracks ; for your information : it was a cast steel, with a lot of impurities, made in the early 50's ...

Parent - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 07-16-2004 13:32

In addition, if you want to avoid preheating and cracks you can weld directly on the cold wheel with a 307 type stainless (18Cr-8Ni-6Mn) ; but this will be more expensive !

Tram wheels (in Europe) are often rebuilt with this technique !
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Resurfacing Rail Wheels