Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Who is Right?
- - By fikey (*) Date 07-19-2004 10:18
i have taken two "night" classes in welding. other then use of the shop, they have been largely useless. when i ask other people i know questions about metals, rods, mig vs. stick, etc., i get about as many different answers as people i ask. is there a definitive welding guide book (like chiltons is to car repair) that i can buy that will help me improve my welding? i am not a pro, just want to be able to get better at something i do quite a bit around the farm. i would like a guide that is not over technical also.
rich
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 07-19-2004 12:40
Lincoln Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding, ASM Handbook (volume 6), Welding Science and Technology, Steel and its Heat Treatment, Jeffersons Welding encyclopedia and Welding Principles and Applications. The ASM book is referenced the most. But when I was just beginning I read the Lincoln Handbook from cover to cover and it was (and still is) extremely beneficial.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-19-2004 13:34
In addition to the books Mike listed, there is another book that provides a lot of information on welding technique. It's published by Lincoln Electric and I believe it is called "New Lessons in Arc Welding" (or close to it). The book covers just about all welding processes, has illustrations, and was written as a textbook. You might find it useful.

None of the Lincoln publications cost a lot compared to other sources and you can even order it online or by phone. Info is on their web site.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-19-2004 14:06
Hi fikey,

All the publications mentioned are really good ones. The link below is to a huge Army Training Circular for welding theory and applications. It has a lot of good useful information in it, and the entire circular can be printed. Definitely worth a look, and it's free.

http://www.machinist.org/army_welding/
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-19-2004 17:09
In addition to the books mentioned above take a look at what the James Lincoln Foundation has to offer. I've seen the one titled "Arc Wedling Instructions for the Beginner", it is about 140 pages. It only covers oxy welding & cutting and stick welding, with a small safety section and a small inspection section. Well worth the $7. The project books both have 50 page agricultural sections (with about 20 ag projects each) they also have sections for home and shop projects. Project book volume II has a section on trailers.

http://ssl.lincolnelectric.com/foundation/
Parent - By hankj (*) Date 07-23-2004 17:26
2ยข more: "Welding Essentials" by Marlow and Galvery is a great text. It covers all welding processes in common use today. It's available in any good book store.

Enjoy...
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-24-2004 05:33
Sometimes when you ask a bunch of people the same question and get a bunch of different answers it means there are a lot of ways to do it and each respondant is telling you the way he prefers. Listen, also read, choose the way's that seem reasonable to you, try them out, keep the ones that work best for you.
Bill
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-26-2004 18:22
Good advice there Bill.
John Wright
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-26-2004 20:06
I favor the show-and-tell method whereby one welder or inspector shows another by demonstration. It may not replace good training or good reference materials but it can answer some of my questions quickly. I could not begin to list the number of things that I have learned by watching and asking questions to others.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Who is Right?