Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Relation between AWS- and EN-standards
- - By Ulrich Zimmer Date 07-22-2004 16:49
I'm looking for a relation between AWS- and EN-standards as we (german company) were asked to supply welded copper parts for a project in the US. Therefor I'm searching for a relation between the EN 288-1 (general standard for welding processes), EN 288-2 (generation of welding procedures) and EN 287 (certification of welders) to the equivalent AWS-standards.
Can anybody help me on this item.

Thanks very much for the support.

Ulrich Zimmer
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-22-2004 17:42
Hi Ulrich,

I copied your post, and mailed it to John Dyson at this address:

http://www.gowelding.com/

His response:

The common AWS standard is D1.1, its very similar to section 9 of the ASME boiler and pressure vessel code. It includes all the relevant information in one book, unlike, EN which has separate parts for procedures, welder approval, and visual assessment. The philosophy between AWS and EN is very similar but the approval ranges and assessment criterion are more stringent with EN. You could argue a case stating that EN288 Part 3 and EN287 Part 1, are more stringent than AWS, therefore a qualification to EN should be suitable to use for an application requiring AWS; but your client in the US may disagree!

Regards

John
Parent - By jfolk (**) Date 07-23-2004 16:55
Mr. Zimmer,

My welding engineering software allows the creation of EN 287 and 288 welding procedures and welder qualifications. I will be happy to create either or both and send them to you for review. The software I use is Weldspec and WelderQual from C-spec.

John Folk
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Relation between AWS- and EN-standards